PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about core releases

3th0s
13th May 2007, 05:23 AM
One of the reasons I wanted to switch to linux was that the OS is regularily updated and released--fedora in particular. I also see that in a few short weeks, Fedora 7 will be released, and I was just curious as to how that actually works. Will YUM auto update it, will I have to wipe FC6 and then install Fedora 7, or is it just a fairly easy process? Also, what constitutes the "core"? Is it just the kernel or what?
Thanks for the info!

Wayne
13th May 2007, 05:36 AM
One of the reasons I wanted to switch to linux was that the OS is regularily updated and released--fedora in particular. I also see that in a few short weeks, Fedora 7 will be released, and I was just curious as to how that actually works. Will YUM auto update it, will I have to wipe FC6 and then install Fedora 7, or is it just a fairly easy process? Also, what constitutes the "core"? Is it just the kernel or what?
Thanks for the info!

In a nutshell, Core basically consisted of free, open source software. There's also Extras, some of whose packages may have had a more restrictive licence than the Core packages. Core and Extras are being merged for Fedora 7 (No more Core in the name) This may mean some packages that were once in Extras may have to be provided by a third-party packager, such as Dries/Freshrpms or Livna.

The recommended approach by the devs is a clean install and not an update as there have been many changes, including those mentioned above.

Wayne

Firewing1
13th May 2007, 07:48 AM
I would definitely do a clean install for F7 - It has many new features and advantages, and IMHO some of these big changes might not go so well with a upgrade install.
Firewing1

markkuk
13th May 2007, 08:43 AM
In a nutshell, Core basically consisted of free, open source software. There's also Extras, some of whose packages may have had a more restrictive licence than the Core packages.
That's not true. Both Core and Extras have the exact same licencing policy: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-76294f12c6b481792eb001ba9763d95e2792e825
The real difference is that Core packages are built and maintained by Red Hat staff, while Extras is maintained by volunteers in the Fedora community.
Packages that aren't free/open source software are provided by third-party repos like Livna, this has been the case since the beginning of the Fedora Project and it's not changing with Fedora 7.

Wayne
13th May 2007, 09:00 AM
Big deal, small error, so what? All the OP needed to know was to do a clean install.

I find the whole thing hypocritical anyway, that's why I don't use Livna. On one hand you have Red Hat/ Fedora devs saying Fedora should only contain FOSS and on the other hand they're contributing 'dirty' packages to Livna. I think it's time those devs got off their high horses!

Edit: If what they say on they wiki is true then why are they going through the Extras sources to make sure that all the packages are 'clean' Some may have to be removed, that's why I made my initial statement. If they have to be removed it means there must be something wrong with the package or the licence.

Wayne

Wayne
13th May 2007, 09:11 AM
Obviously, English is not your first language. If you also read my original post I said:

"some of whose packages may have had a more restrictive licence than the Core packages"

Nowhere in there did I say Extras does contain unclean packages. I was basing what I wrote on the fact that the devs are sorting through the packages to make sure. There's a rotten apple in every basket, you know. Some may have slipped through into Extras that shouldn't be there.

Wayne

3th0s
13th May 2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info, one more thing though--does a clean install require me to wipe or partition my hard drive again?

Firewing1
13th May 2007, 09:54 PM
Yes - Not all partitions though, just ones holding system files. For example I usually put a swap, /home, /boot and / partitions. I format /boot, / but swap and /home I can reuse from Fedora install to install.
Firewing1