PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive disappears when I insert a disc...

nuts
13th May 2007, 01:41 AM
When I insert a DVD movie disc in my DVD drive it disappears and doesn't come back until the next reboot. This is a fresh install of core6...

Wayne
13th May 2007, 01:43 AM
When I insert a DVD movie disc in my DVD drive it disappears and doesn't come back until the next reboot. This is a fresh install of core6...

Search back through the forum, it's a known issue that should have been resolved months ago and is annoying the hell out of me (and maybe others) :confused:

Edit: you could say it's driving me nuts :D

Wayne

ryptyde
13th May 2007, 01:54 AM
If you insert a data DVD or a music CD does it work and show the drive?
You wont be able to view encrypted movie discs without 3rd party repos installed and enabled. Fedora does not include "non-free" proprietary software by default eg: mp3's.

Wayne
13th May 2007, 01:58 AM
If you insert a data DVD or a music CD does it work and show the drive?
You wont be able to view encrypted movie discs without 3rd party repos installed and enabled. Fedora does not include "non-free" proprietary software by default eg: mp3's.

This has all been covered countless times. Data DVDs/CDs and music CDs show up just fine, as do backups of movie DVDs but movie DVDs stopped showing up after an update somewhere along the line and what they broke hasn't been fixed yet. This is with all the libdvdcss/libdvdnav stuff installed.

Wayne

nuts
13th May 2007, 02:00 AM
LOL! Yep; it sure does. As soon as I take the movie out and put a data disk either CD or DVD in it comes back...

So what needs to be done here fellas?

nuts
13th May 2007, 02:02 AM
This has all been covered countless times. Data DVDs/CDs and music CDs show up just fine, as do backups of movie DVDs but movie DVDs stopped showing up after an update somewhere along the line and what they broke hasn't been fixed yet. This is with all the libdvdcss/libdvdnav stuff installed.

Wayne

That sounds like the exact problem I am having. Any chance you could direct me to some more info on it?

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:03 AM
LOL! Yep; it sure does. As soon as I take the movie out and put a data disk either CD or DVD in it comes back...

So what needs to be done here fellas?

Nothing, just wait for the devs to sort out who's responsible for the breakage (the last I heard 2 teams were blaming each other) and for it to get fixed. By the time that happens Fedora 7 will have been released :D

As long as you have libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread and liddvdplay installed you can still use Xine to play the thing.

Wayne

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:04 AM
That sounds like the exact problem I am having. Any chance you could direct me to some more info on it?

Use the 'search' function Luke, use the 'search.....'

Wayne

nuts
13th May 2007, 02:04 AM
Nothing, just wait for the devs to sort out who's responsible for the breakage (the last I heard 2 teams were blaming each other) and for it to get fixed. By the time that happens Fedora 7 will have been released :D

As long as you have libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread and liddvdplay installed you can still use Xine to play the thing.

Wayne

Could you tell me where I could find xine?

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:06 AM
Could you tell me where I could find xine?

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html

Wayne

ryptyde
13th May 2007, 02:08 AM

Wayne

Sorry to hear that! Have 3 FC6 and 1 F7T4 installs and have no problem viewing video DVD. Used Livna for the repo to draw all that was necessary to listen and view any and all of my audio/video files. :p

Edit: Have vlc installed from the Livna repo and upon inserting a Video DVD an icon of the drive to which the movie was inserted magically appears on my desktop and vlc starts(autoruns) and I have to expend some energy to hit the play button. :)

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:11 AM
Sorry to hear that! Have 3 FC6 and 1 F7T4 installs and have no problem viewing video DVD. Used Livna for the repo to draw all that was necessary to listen and view any and all of my audio/video files. :p

There's no problem watching the DVD, it's just the DVD drive icon 'disappears' from under 'Computer' in Gnome when you insert one and an icon doesn't show up on the desktop as it used to.

Wayne

nuts
13th May 2007, 02:12 AM

I did that too and all it failed on was the WMA codecs...

ryptyde
13th May 2007, 02:22 AM
There's no problem watching the DVD, it's just the DVD drive icon 'disappears' from under 'Computer' in Gnome when you insert one and an icon doesn't show up on the desktop as it used to.

Wayne

No such problem here drive icon shows on desktop and also in computer on Gnome. Now I am going to recheck the other Fedora installs to see if maybe there is a problem with them as I can't remember if I played a video DVD in them lately,so for now I'll wipe that silly grin off my face. :(

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:27 AM
No such problem here drive icon shows on desktop and also in computer on Gnome. Now I am going to recheck the other Fedora installs to see if maybe there is a problem with them as I can't remember if I played a video DVD in them lately,so for now I'll wipe that silly grin off my face. :(

I have the same problem here with two FC6 machines (different hardware) both at the same 'fix' level and both running Gnome. If it were only one I'd think hardware problem but as it's two and I'm not alone (look at older threads) it must be a HAL or similar problem.

Wayne

Wayne
13th May 2007, 02:28 AM
http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html

Wayne

Ignore that, I think you said you had Livna enabled. You can get Xine from there.

Wayne

ryptyde
13th May 2007, 03:11 AM
OK,checked the 3 FC6 machines and "drive icon" shows in computer and on desktop and movie plays using vlc. The F7T4 shows the drive icons also and movie will not play using vlc but will using Xine.

nuts
13th May 2007, 08:07 AM
It plays without issue under VLC media player. Just curious why the drive has to disappear...

Wayne
13th May 2007, 08:16 AM
It plays without issue under VLC media player. Just curious why the drive has to disappear...

As I said, it's a known issue and has been mentioned in more than one thread. One previous is here:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154163&highlight=HAL

Notice in one post mention of the autofs and HAL teams blaming each other.

Wayne

nuts
13th May 2007, 08:35 AM
As I said, it's a known issue and has been mentioned in more than one thread. One previous is here:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154163&highlight=HAL

Notice in one post mention of the autofs and HAL teams blaming each other.

Wayne

Subscribed...