PDA

View Full Version : Alsamixer PCM setting won't stick.

Trapper
12th May 2007, 08:03 PM
FC6
Gnome

I cannot seem to get the PCM volume setting in alsamixer to stick. It defaults back to 50% every time I reboot or boot the computer. I even did alsamixer from an su terminal and then did a store. That particular setting just refuses to stick. Somewhere along the line, a while back, there was an alsa update. Prior to that there were no PCM issues. Anyone have an idea what's going on and how I resolve the problem?

MonkeyMan
12th May 2007, 09:23 PM
Hmm, I seem to have the same problem

Trapper
13th May 2007, 12:23 PM
I have up-to-date Ubuntu, KateOS and Debian installs using Gnome also on this box. PCM volume control sticks in all of them. FC6 is the only one where PCM defaults back to 51% every time I boot up.

Dies
13th May 2007, 12:58 PM
You might want to consider filing a bug.

In Gentoo for example you have add these commands to local start/stop scripts, so you can try doing the same thing by adding the command 'alsactl restore' with no quotes of course to /etc/rc.local and adding a shutdown script . Could help, can't hurt.

--------------------
#!/bin/sh

alsactl store

--------------------

Edit - Sorry, had to edit some stuff out I was going off memory and I was way off.

Trapper
13th May 2007, 02:19 PM
Success. I added 'alsactl restore' to /etc/rc.local and it restores the stored PCM settings correctly. I did not bother with a shutdown script for 'alsactl store'. The stored settings stick.

I appreciate your help.

robatino
12th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Adding "alsactl restore" to /etc/rc.local worked for me in FC6, but no longer in F7.

S-V
10th July 2007, 06:55 PM
Another issue is that whenever I open "Soundcard detection" dialog, volume drawer is in the center position :confused:

robatino
10th July 2007, 07:01 PM
I don't think that's an issue. For one thing, the normal volume settings are saved on a per-user basis, while system-config-soundcard runs as root, so the settings would have to be saved separately. In any case, s-c-soundcard isn't used routinely, so it's not a big deal whether it saves its setting or not (it's probably not intended to).