PDA

View Full Version : removing win-partition?

MonkeyMan
11th May 2007, 10:39 AM
That's right folks, I'm moving on, and leaving my two-timing ex behind. The only reason I stuck with her was the way she could do those special things, you know, like matlab ;)

But now that the current version of octave is as good as it is, even those old tricks won't do. So I'm getting rid of it.

Problem: Formatting the partition and merging it with either the linux systempartition, which is a bit risky, or merging it with my datapartition, which is even more risky. Or just keeping it as a separate partition.

Are there any programs available in linux. Normally I would use parttion magic but since I'm getting rid of it, along with the rest of windows I'm not sure it would work. And frankly, I don't trust wine enough to do it that way either.

Suggestion and help welcome!

InKo
11th May 2007, 11:10 AM
hi MonkeyMan,

congratulations that you finally moved your windows in oblivion :D The feeling after that is like relieved, isnt' it?

there is also Matlab for linux... but I prefer to use (if needed) the Scilab. :) Octave is also good!

Partitioning: in your case, I would personally keep the windows partitions separately, mounted on boot (/etc/ftab). Technically you will not mark the difference working that way!

to partition your drive, you can use qtparted (http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/). I never used the partition magic and never saw it in use, but I like qtparted and find it very handily.

:)

daneel971
11th May 2007, 12:11 PM
Since you don't need to repartition but only to reformat an existing partition, you can do this from your linux installation.
Then create a mountpoint and add a line to fstab, as Inko suggested.

InKo
11th May 2007, 12:16 PM
formatting the drive also using fdisk. :)

John the train
11th May 2007, 12:47 PM
If you still feel a bit nervous about merging the (ex) Windoze partition do as InKo suggests for the moment, then when you upgrade to F7 you can clean the HD and start over. ( Recommended way to upgrade safely is to back up your ' Home ' partition to CD,DVD, USB drive or whatever and do a clean install, then copy ' Home ' back in. )

MonkeyMan
11th May 2007, 12:58 PM
...and she's out of my life for good!

Thanks for all advice, reformat via fdisk and keeping the winpartition as a separate disk (now ext2). Hmm maybe I should have done a 10 gig swapdisk :rolleyes:

InKo
11th May 2007, 01:27 PM
10 gig swapdisk :rolleyes: :) 1 GB is more than needed!