PDA

View Full Version : Firefox opens slow

GammaPoint
10th May 2007, 07:32 AM
Hi, I noticed today that my Firefox takes a long time to open (~1 min). All pages are quickly loaded though after it's started, it's just the initial starting up that takes so long. The only thing that I think I've changed was that I updated Java to Sun's Java, but I believe I took care of the Java symbolic links to Mozilla. Anyone have any experience with this or know what I may try to figure out what exacly the issue is?

Thanks in advance!

sej7278
10th May 2007, 09:40 AM
i think that's just a given with anything mozilla. mine starts slow too, as does thunderbird, and thats on a 3ghz/sata/1.5gb machine....

jdeslip
13th May 2007, 03:23 AM
If you upgrade firefox, the first time it runs, it will be slow to load. After that it should be fast though. Perhaps you should look into the plugin situation again - what's in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ? Also, try running it as a different user (login as root perhaps) to see if it is also slow as that user. If not, something is likeley messed up in yoru .mozilla folder.

joe.pelayo
13th May 2007, 05:32 AM
Hi, I noticed today that my Firefox takes a long time to open (~1 min). All pages are quickly loaded though after it's started, it's just the initial starting up that takes so long. The only thing that I think I've changed was that I updated Java to Sun's Java, but I believe I took care of the Java symbolic links to Mozilla. Anyone have any experience with this or know what I may try to figure out what exacly the issue is?

Thanks in advance!
Which Firefox version are you talking about?

I have never had problems with the one I download from www.mozilla.com and somewhere here I read that the Firefox 2.0 included in the development repo is somewhat slow.

Joe.

GammaPoint
13th May 2007, 08:54 PM
It's better now. I don't remember if I restarted or just woke up the next morning and had it work. Thanks for the comments everyone :)