PDA

View Full Version : Core 6. Only see a sliver of GUI

SugarySnack
9th May 2007, 10:41 PM
Well i moved onto Fedora to give it a shot. It starts to load, but when it hits the GUI, the screen is mostly black except for maybe 2 pixel lines at the top, where i can see my mouse if i move it. Then the screen goes completely black, and no ctrl + alt+ anyhitng does anything. Anyone have a remedy for this problem? Because i can';t find one on google.

I know it boots up into the login screen, because i can type in my info blindly, and then it goes into the desktop ( i can onyl see the top 2 rows of pixels, but it changes when i enter my info, and what not. Can still see the tip of my mouse

SO basicly, i have two rows of pixels at the top to use. Using any of the CTRL + ALT + <f-> keys do not give anything.

I am new to linux, and have been trying 20+ hours just to get one on my computer. Maybe that is a short time lol who knows!

glennzo
9th May 2007, 11:06 PM
I'd try booting to runlevel 3 and editing my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, setting the resolution to 1024x768 or 800x600 and make sure the driver is vesa. Reboot and see if you get a screen.

SugarySnack
9th May 2007, 11:19 PM
I'd try booting to runlevel 3 and editing my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, setting the resolution to 1024x768 or 800x600 and make sure the driver is vesa. Reboot and see if you get a screen.

Would you be able to instruct me as to how to do that, seeing as I am comlpetely lost in the whole command line thing. :S

dishawjp
10th May 2007, 03:32 PM
glennzo's suggestion is fine and accurate, however, if you're new to Linux and working from the command line, editing the resolutions in your xorg.conf might be difficult. A simpler method *may* work for you.

When you boot your computer, and the grub flash screen appears, type the letter "a" which will allow you to append an argument to grub. Then type the number "3" (no quotes on any of this) which will allow the computer to boot into a non-graphical mode.

Log in as directed by the text screen and then type the command "system-config-display" (also no quotes).

If you get a "command not found" or "permission denied" message, type "su -" (no quotes) and enter your root password. Then the system-config-display command. This should put you into a basic GUI to let you reconfigure X.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw

glennzo
10th May 2007, 04:10 PM
Either method will work. Since you asked me to guide you I will post the steps here. When you boot your computer, at the grub menu choose your Fedora installation. When that choice is highlighted press 'e'. Scroll down to this line, kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3116.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet vga=791 and press 'e' again. Append the number '3' to the end of the line, so it looks like this, kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3116.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet vga=791 3. This will get you to the command prompt. Login with root and root's password. Type 'vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf '. In the vi editor you need to press the ESC key and then the INS key. Find the driver section and make sure it is set to 'vesa'. Find the mode lines and set them all to 1024x768 max. To save the file hit ESC and the colon : the letter W and the letter Q and the ! (wq!). Type 'startx' and see if you get a nice graphical login.