PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion tx1000z?

daihard
5th May 2007, 09:54 AM
Hi.

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to install and configure Fedora Core successfully on a HP Pavilion tx1000z laptop? I searched through this forum including the "Laptops running Fedora report" thread, but I could not find any reference WRT tx1000z. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dai

Jman
7th May 2007, 03:49 AM
Unlikely that you would find that exact model mentioned.

You can try a live CD (http://lwn.net/Articles/215388/) and see how much is automatically recognized.

daihard
7th May 2007, 05:10 AM
Unlikely that you would find that exact model mentioned.

You can try a live CD (http://lwn.net/Articles/215388/) and see how much is automatically recognized.
Thanks for the reply. The problem is, I am looking for a laptop to buy. It's got to be something Fedora Core will run well, with little or no manual configuration. What I don't want to do is buy a laptop, test it with a Live CD, and end up returning it because it does not work, although it's certainly doable...

thisisme
17th May 2007, 09:36 PM
I've just ordered one of these with the help of a friend in the US. It has some ways to travel before I get my hands on it, but I intend installing Fedora7 on it and will gladly share my experiences with everyone.

I am not expecting everything to work out of the box with linux, especially as the touchscreen on this model has been met with mixed reviews...

So....daihard, if you can wait until about mid-June....

daihard
18th May 2007, 02:31 AM
I've just ordered one of these with the help of a friend in the US. It has some ways to travel before I get my hands on it, but I intend installing Fedora7 on it and will gladly share my experiences with everyone.

I am not expecting everything to work out of the box with linux, especially as the touchscreen on this model has been met with mixed reviews...

So....daihard, if you can wait until about mid-June....
Thanks! Yes, I'll be glad to wait until you get your hands on it. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me.

Dai

dreamcarrior
28th May 2007, 05:35 AM
I am searching for the linux capability in driving HP tx1000z series, and in one of the user reviews I found that someone installed Ubuntu 7.0. According to the author, the tablet pc worked great with some work-arounds. The only issue was that the touchscreen did not have any calibration utility.

The link is http://www.tabletpcreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=18654&productFamilyID=929&display=opinionDetail

Best Portable Bang for the Buck -- Runs Ubuntu Linux, too, with some tweaking
Submitted by Something.Thirty on 5/22/2007 6:20:27 PM

Since I am running Fedora Core 4 now, I also would like to know how this tablet pc works with Fedora.

thisisme
20th June 2007, 07:13 PM
Hi

I've managed to get F7-x86_64 installed on my tx1000z.... but I am getting a 'crash' of my IRQ 7 after a few minutes. I'm snowed under right now, but will be investigating this soon (work plus part-time studies and exams)....I suspect it is linked to the 'noapic' when booting... but I have not forgotten about my promise to come back and report all......

thisisme
21st June 2007, 06:51 PM
system is now stable with the addition of 'noapic irqpoll' (instead of just noapic or noapic nolapic) added to the boot parameters.... compiling info for a 'how to'... stay tuned

Additional parameters does appear to make the boot slower though.... :(

shaydog
27th June 2007, 05:30 AM
Hi thisisme, I've actually been silently following this thread for about a month, but am looking forward to hearing about your efforts.

I also ordered a tx1000z, but am running Ubuntu on it and have had one heck of a time trying to get it working. Right now the built in wireless card and the sound are non-functional. I was wondering if you could post something about those when you get a chance?

Thanks a lot!

thisisme
2nd July 2007, 02:02 PM
Hi guys.. again more apologies.... been fighting with a new huawei E220 modem that I'd like to get set up the same way my old PCMCIA 'broadband' modem worked (New = 3.6MB/s and Old = 1.8MB/s)

As exams are over now things should make good progress in much less time....

As reported before F7 x86_64 is running in the laptop, dual-booting with the purchased Vista that came with the tx1000z

as for booting... is seems that switching off APIC (the noapic or nolapic options) eventually lead to a system sooooo slow it was embarrassig.. I think the irqpoll helped, but couldn't do enough fast enough... anyway...

for you anxiously waiting... add vga=0x317 (this sets your boot display/text to 1024x768x16 resolution) to your boot params at boot or in your /etc/grub.conf for a more permanent solution.... the line you are looking for starts with "kernel /vmlinuz...."
It seems this is all you need to stabilise the boot and leave your IRQs nice and managed.... live aand learn.. ;)
Other settings such as vga=971 also seems to be OK
for a quick reference check out
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
or here's the some ideas on framebuffer settings

Colours 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200
--------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 bits |...?..............?..............0x302.....?..... .........?...............?..................?..... ...........
8 bits |...0x300......0x301......0x303.....0x305.......0x 161.......0x307..........0x31C
15 bits |..?..............0x310......0x313.....0x316...... .0x162.......0x319..........0x31D
16 bits |..?..............0x311......0x314.....0x317...... .0x163.......0x31A..........0x31E
24 bits |..?..............0x312......0x315.....0x318...... .?...............0x31B..........0x31F
32 bits |..?..............?...............?.............?. ..............0x164......?

As for getting your soundcard working.....

make sure the line in /etc/modprobe.conf now reads
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack position_fix=0 single_cmd=0

as for wireless, it seems some have gone the NDIS route... but I actually want the modem to download patches/packages before I can report anything.....
(If you want go check out
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=297092
in the meantime)

more soon... :)

rasker
9th November 2007, 05:33 PM
thisisme is absolutely correct. adding vga=0x317 allows you to boot successfully with apic switched on. Apic is needed for many things (like suspend/hibernate) and irqrouting. As the tx1000's have turion dual cores apic and lapic are also needed (smp linux kernels need this switched on for the kernels to sort out who is going to do what and who is not going to tread on the others toes).

I have the touchscreen working with the egalax drivers (http://www.eeti.com.tw).

EETI make the touchscreen chip (link above)
d-wav re-package it probably with the screen and have thier own drivers (http://www.d-wav.com)
HP don't have linux drivers for this range of laptops (how crap)

There are some BIG issues with the egalax drivers and selinux. This will hopefully be sorted out ( Redhat bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=371291 ). They work really well with selinux turned off (not reccomended) including the calibration and setup application.

The evtouch drivers (another alternative) apparently don't have the calibration app working at the moment. The evtouch drivers also throw up selinux denials. However if these things do get sorted out they will work as well.

Now on to the other hardware....

rasker
9th November 2007, 05:51 PM
One day I'm going to stop spelling recommended with two c's and one m.

ordinary
9th November 2007, 06:01 PM
One day I'm going to stop spelling recommended with two c's and one m.
Suit yourself. ;)

thisisme
13th November 2007, 10:55 AM
hmmm.... fedora 8 has been released and I have a DVD... hope to be upgrading soon.

As its the end of the academic year (which impacts both work and part-time studies) I hope to be a little more verbose in any posts I make on how I got F8 working.. who knows.. perhaps some stuff will 'just work' out the box... ;)

Never did get around to setting up the modem or calibrating the touch-screen but was surprised at how little fuss it took to get the wireless NIC working (under the non-Xen kernels) - although it is considerably slower than under 'that other OS that shall not be named'... :)

Hope everyone out there with a tx1000 is still enjoying theirs as much as I am...

rasker
13th November 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm nearly done with my tx100. It's been a long road!! I've just finished modding the bios to make the hardware seem as if it is running Windows and all the buttons have been made available to linux as ACPI Direct Application Launch buttons. Apparently they let ACPI tell a resuming OS which button has been pressed so the OS can launch an application once it has resumed.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/DirAppLaunch.mspx

I only need to get resuming working and find a driver for this feature.

Modding the bios also makes the buttons work for XP.

Last few bits and pieces left - mute button led needs to go red when mute is on, finalise audio configuration (test output ports + spdif), bluetooth and wifi button and finally .... um can't remember :)

I'll post this up somewhere and pop a link here.

R