PDA

View Full Version : Question about using Swap..

DaMizZa
4th May 2007, 09:06 PM
Having recently installed Fedora Core 6 (after a few video issues), I've been curious on monitoring how well everything is running. Using the 'free' and 'top' commands, I've noticed that Swap is not being used at all... Every time I check into it, my used swap partition size is 0k. My memory is completely used, but swap is never used. I even checked the default cron checks, and from what I have seen my swap partition has never been used... Anyone know why this would happen or what I can do to look into this further or fix it? There hasn't been an extreme loss of functionality or anything, but I'd like to maximize the performance of my laptop. In case it helps, I am using a Toshiba A100-SK4, Intel 945GM chipset, with 1 GB RAM, and an Intel Core Single (?) processor. I have an 80 GB hdd and I have set the swap partition to just under 4 GB. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gallan
4th May 2007, 09:20 PM
what programs are you using? in normal use my laptop uses 250-300 mb of memory and I have never get more than 600 mb...sounds a bit strange.

what if you check memory from "system monitor" ?

markkuk
4th May 2007, 09:24 PM
Every time I check into it, my used swap partition size is 0k. My memory is completely used, but swap is never used. I even checked the default cron checks, and from what I have seen my swap partition has never been used... Anyone know why this would happen or what I can do to look into this further or fix it?
There's nothing to fix, your machine works optimally. Swap is 1000 or more times slower than RAM and using it will slow down your machine.

DaMizZa
6th May 2007, 01:53 AM
I just checked it, right now I have 17MB of 1 GB memory free, 0KB of swap is used... To be honest, there isn't a whole lot running either.. I have kwifi, super karamba, and kde and that's about it. If I try to run a simple game like Frozen Bubbles, the sound is super choppy and distorted. From what I figure, not even half of the programs running need to be in RAM, and could easily be swapped out so that other things that I'm currently using have room in RAM to operate better. I don't know if maybe this is the way that Linux was designed to run, but I'd assume not as it's not a very efficient way to do so. I'm just wondering if I should maybe be doing something in terms of configuration to fix this or if this is just a bug that I introduced through inexperience and playing around with settings?