PDA

View Full Version : How to get a browser without a browser or yum? Don't ask me...

i_a_coops
2nd May 2007, 07:41 PM
Interesting little conundrum here..... I just installed FC6 from the dvd (ppc version), but I have a couple of fairly major problems to say the least.... Firstly, I have no working web browser, as neither Firefox or the Web Browser that was on the toolbar at the top will open, all that happens is I get a minimised window which says 'opening whatever', which subsequently disappears. so far, so not great. Unfortunately, yum and software update don't work either, as they both claim another application is using pckage information. I KNOW there is nothing else running, have done this as soon as the machine has booted, and killed all processes I can find, but this still happens. Any idea what I can do?

Oh yeah, I had to enable Network Manager to recognise the ethernet cable which should be piping the internet into the machine (!), and network manager claims the speed is 100Mb/s, which seems a little optimistic so I'm wondering if that means the maximum speed for the port? I had massive problems with the internet in Ubuntu (well, a total lack of it) although it works fine in Mac OS X.

leigh123linux
2nd May 2007, 07:57 PM
Do you have a terminal

su -
system-config-services

then disable and stop the yum auto-update daemon , then save and exit.

yum should work fine after this!

i_a_coops
2nd May 2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks! OK, yum and software update WOULD be working now .... if the internet connection worked! Anyone got any idea about this? I had the exact same problem with Ubuntu, it just would not recognise that it was plugged into the inter-web. It's an ethernet cable coming from the router, and it works fine with Mac OS X and Firefox, but seemingly not with Linux. Network Manager is open btw. makes no difference though. Not sure about blacklisting ipv6, tried that in Ubuntu to no avail.

Dies
2nd May 2007, 11:21 PM
Have you googled for your hardware?

What does ifconfig show, is there an eth0 mentioned?

su -
ifconfig

hmm.. just saw your other thread, you said eth0 comes up at boot, try

su -
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

i_a_coops
4th May 2007, 07:52 PM
ok, i've got a screenshot of all the relevant info attached to this post, but i'll try and describe this anyway....

i can ping myself fine, eth0 seems to be the one wroking even though the router is connecteed to what mac calls ethernet 1! interesting.... unfortunately, as you can see, package manager doesn't work, neither does yum, and I don't have a web browser that will even open, although that seems to be a common thing in Fedora - if you try and open something and it won't open, the program will try for a few seconds then quit. same goes for Messenger, although after ages it does come up with a couple of frozen windows (account and buddy list, but plain white inside, no toolbars or anything. I have to force quit them). How do I ping the router?

sideways
4th May 2007, 08:30 PM
169.254.*.* is assigned when you can't get a valid ip address from the router, it's a reserved range of special ips (like 192.168.*.*).

So, assuming you're using dhcp, first check you can ping your router, you need to know it's ip address.

Add you router as a DNS in system-config-network, and check there is an entry for it in /etc/resolve.conf.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should have a line 'BOOTPROTO=dhcp', you can configure this in system-config-network too (set eth0 to obtain it's ip automatically)

Try restarting networking (as root) 'service network restart'.

If it still doesn't work, your router may not be configured for dhcp, and you may have to set a fixed ip address.

i_a_coops
4th May 2007, 09:46 PM
crikey.....ok after some fiddling about in Network config i've managed to get the eth0 port active (it's definitely plugged into eth0. I'm now sure about that!), unfortunately, i still can't get online in any way. I can't even open Firefox! The screenshot pretty much tells the story. except I can't really demonstrate Firefox not working in a screenshot!

i_a_coops
4th May 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm a little confused as to how to get at e.g. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 , bunging this into the terminal wholesale doesn't seem to do it..... pardon my ignorance, I'm not that confidant with the command line yet!

leigh123linux
4th May 2007, 09:59 PM
try

su
gedit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

sideways
4th May 2007, 10:07 PM
can you ping 192.168.0.1?

What does ifconfig say now, have you goat a valid ip addres (probably in 192.168.*.* range)?

You can use system-config-network gui to edit the network scripts for each device, you don't have to edit the scripts yourself in a text terminal.

lmo
4th May 2007, 11:51 PM
I can't believe 192.168.0.1 is a valid DNS much less a primary DNS. It will try for a very long time and then give up for every attempt to access the internet.

Reccomendation:
Blank out - Primary DNS
Blank out - DNS search path

sideways
5th May 2007, 12:35 AM
I can't believe 192.168.0.1 is a valid DNS much less a primary DNS. It will try for a very long time and then give up for every attempt to access the internet.

Reccomendation:
Blank out - Primary DNS

The router should have it's own dns settings (to an external name server), and should know how to deal with dns requests from internal clients.

i_a_coops
5th May 2007, 03:29 PM

Reccomendation:
Blank out - Primary DNS

Too right about it giving up! Ok I tried this. now I cant even get the network manager to say the connection is active.... eek!

sideways
5th May 2007, 03:33 PM
Forget about dns for now, if dhcp was working that would be set automatically when you connect (and would be set to the ip of your router)

Let's do this step by step.

Delete all the ethx entries and set up a new one with dhcp, also disable network manager
Then try to activate eth0, either in the gui or using 'ifup eth0'

Please tell me if you can ping your router.

lmo
5th May 2007, 06:53 PM
route - show / manipulate the IP routing table

What does it say when you type:
route

lmo
5th May 2007, 07:14 PM
It's an ethernet cable coming from the router, and it works fine with Mac OS X and Firefox, but seemingly not with Linux. Network Manager is open btw. makes no difference though. Not sure about blacklisting ipv6, tried that in Ubuntu to no avail.
Is there any chance you can post the networking settings from "works fine with Max OS X"?

tw2113
5th May 2007, 08:31 PM
get a flash drive, download the rpm onto it from a computer that does work, and then transfer that way :-)

at least after you get networking issues resolved

i_a_coops
5th May 2007, 09:58 PM
how do I ping the router? if it helps, the address is exactly the same as what Mac OS X tells me the port IP is, so maybe that is the right IP for the router, I don't know. I tried starting again with another eth0 connection but nothing new happened. btw, if firefox can't get at the internet, will it just open? I can't even open saved html s atm. firefox just won't open. I tried installing the latest version of firefox from source, but it didn't seem to recognise the ./configure command. Is there something wrong with what i have now, or should I keep trying to reinstall it? I would assume that once I can use it, yum will have the latest version of fiirefox?

Dies
5th May 2007, 10:30 PM
No, although the latest version is available through the development repo, the one in the normal repo lags behind a little bit.

The official Firefox is very easy to install and it keeps itself updated, just download the Linux package, right click and extract it then you can just run it by changing into the folder and running ./firefox

I usually just throw it in /opt/

lmo
5th May 2007, 10:56 PM
links is a text browser that usually works.
However, if you cannot ping www.google.com, then no browser in the world is going to bring up google.
You first must be able to ping before worrying about a browser.

how do I ping the router? if it helps, the address is exactly the same as what Mac OS X tells me the port IP isWhat is that address? can you ping that?

Dies
5th May 2007, 11:10 PM
btw, if firefox can't get at the internet, will it just open? I can't even open saved html s atm. firefox just won't open.

@ Imo

I think this is why he was asking, he's probably saving threads and whatever information he finds that might help him so that he can view them from FC, which is smart but unfortunately FF is not cooperating.

Firefox should open up even if you don't have a connection.

Are you right clicking the files and selecting "open with"?
If you haven't tried it yet try bringing the connection it "thinks" is working down then opening FF if it still doesn't work then :confused:

You can also run firefox from a terminal and post the output.

lmo
5th May 2007, 11:17 PM
Yes, FF *should* work even without a connection. But the first time FF runs, it tries to phone home and see if it can update itself. That may be the minimalized window.

I second the motion to: "run firefox from a terminal and post the output."

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 12:23 PM
@ Imo

I think this is why he was asking, he's probably saving threads and whatever information he finds that might help him so that he can view them from FC, which is smart but unfortunately FF is not cooperating.

Firefox should open up even if you don't have a connection.

Are you right clicking the files and selecting "open with"?
If you haven't tried it yet try bringing the connection it "thinks" is working down then opening FF if it still doesn't work then :confused:

You can also run firefox from a terminal and post the output.

Exactly yeah, I'm having to copy and paste into txt or open office instead, which is a bit of a pain!

According to network settings on MacOSX, "Built-in Ethernet 1 is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.02". Bizarrely when I go on congifure it tells me the IP address is still that, but the router address (and DNS servers) is 198.168.01.
Also, the ethernet ID is 00:14:51:64:b4:17

the IPv6 address is e80:0000:0000:0000:0214:51ff:fe64:b417

the subnet mask (whatever that is) is 255.255.255.0

The MTU is 1500. come to think of it where can I change the MTU? I know some routers don't like going above 1500 apparently. I think I've seen an option in Network settings, but the box wasn't ticked and the default setting was 1..... so maybe I'm hallucinating lol.

And, I'm sorry about this, but what do you mean by run firefox from the terminal and post the output? I know a bit about the terminal from the mac, but I've tended to only use it when I have to!

lmo
6th May 2007, 01:06 PM
And, I'm sorry about this, but what do you mean by run firefox from the terminal and post the output? I know a bit about the terminal from the mac, but I've tended to only use it when I have to!Almost always, there is some option on some menu called Terminal. Click that, and you will be in a terminal. Then type "firefox".

When firefox ends, any error messages will still be in the terminal window.

lmo
6th May 2007, 01:12 PM
According to network settings on MacOSX, "Built-in Ethernet 1 is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.02". Bizarrely when I go on congifure it tells me the IP address is still that, but the router address (and DNS servers) is 198.168.01.
Also, the ethernet ID is 00:14:51:64:b4:17

the IPv6 address is e80:0000:0000:0000:0214:51ff:fe64:b417

the subnet mask (whatever that is) is 255.255.255.0There is the useful information, except that I think you wrote it down wrong. All IP addresses have 4 tuples (4 numbers separated by 3 periods) like the netmask 255.255.255.0

Re-check the MacOSX numbers
but the router address (and DNS servers) is 198.168.01.and ping that number -- My guess is that is the router

where can I change the MTU?In Network Configuration. Highlight Devices eth0 and click on Edit

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 01:39 PM
sorry, it's 198.168.0.1 and 198.168.0.2 , does that look better?

lmo
6th May 2007, 01:40 PM
ping 198.168.0.1

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 02:40 PM
OK, have pinged both 192.168.0.1. and "" "" 0.2 , both seem ok, and i can ping www.google.com, not all of the pings seem to work in that it seems to miss out some numbers (i.e. i get 1,2,3,4,7, etc. returned)? don't know much about this I'm afraid. (first screenshot)

I also tried opening firefox from the terminal, it didn't work! (second screenshot).

and on the basis that firefox doesn't seem to work, i tried installing the latest version myself. All went well until I tried to either ./configure or ,/firefox , upon which it decided to stop co-operating. (third screenshot)

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 02:55 PM
ok here's the third screenshot, sorry i accidentally reduced the quality on the second but it wasn't interesting anyway, al it was was 'firefox' in the terminal, then a picture of absolutely nothing happening after that (i.e.it just going to the command prompt again). dunno what I'm doing wrong trying to install firefox though!

lmo
6th May 2007, 02:57 PM
What happens if you try:
links www.google.com

lmo
6th May 2007, 03:02 PM
If that firefox is from the firefox web site, you do not need to configure -- just run firefox

Oh, I See ..

In that firefox directory do:
ls -l

I bet you should have untarred it with:
tar -xzpf firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz

The firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz from firefox website ships ready to run as soon as it unpacks.

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 03:22 PM
If that firefox is from the firefox web site, you do not need to configure -- just run firefox

Oh, I See ..

In that firefox directory do:
ls -l

I bet you should have untarred it with:
tar -xzpf firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz

The firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz from firefox website ships ready to run as soon as it unpacks.

i untarred it with tar -zxvf, is xzpf different? and, if I don't need to congigure what do I do, just ./firefox ?

lmo
6th May 2007, 03:33 PM
Post the output from inside the firefox directory of:
ls -l

tar -zxvf, is xzpf is different in the "p" which says "preserve permissions". You may have rendered firefox and firefox-bin non-executable.

The ls -l output should show 3 x's something like:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5239 Nov 11 2005 firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9889508 Nov 11 2005 firefox-bin

If they do not, I guess you could try:
chmod +x firefox
chmod +x firefox-bin

from within the firefox directory.

what do I do, just ./firefox ?Yes

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 03:45 PM
Post the output from inside the firefox directory of:
ls -l

tar -zxvf, is xzpf is different in the "p" which says "preserve permissions". You may have rendered firefox and firefox-bin non-executable.

The ls -l output should show 3 x's something like:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5239 Nov 11 2005 firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9889508 Nov 11 2005 firefox-bin

If they do not, I guess you could try:
chmod +x firefox
chmod +x firefox-bin

from within the firefox directory.

Yes

it's just not my day, tar -xzpf doesn't seem to do anything!

lmo
6th May 2007, 04:00 PM
It did it.

Sorry, I didn't include "v" for verify, so it did it silently.
If it didn't do it, it would have reported errors.

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 04:53 PM
ok, it still says 'cannot execute binary file'.... that was starting from scratch ( i.e.. from the original tar.gz). ls -l gave me almost exactly what you said it would, but seemigly I have still made firefox and firefox-bin non-executable?

lmo
6th May 2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, here is what I do after I unpack firefox:

Go into the firefox directory

chmod -R 755 chrome
chmod -R 755 components
chmod -R 755 extensions

If that still doesn't work, I try:
chmod -R 777 chrome
chmod -R 777 components
chmod -R 777 extensions

Firefox developers have a hard time arguing amongst themselves about letting some program in one of those directories execute the first time that firefox is run. Looks like they have not yet decided to do it right.

Actually, you should run ./firefox as your regular user, so do:
su whatever_your_regular_user_name_is
./firefox

Ex: If your regular user name is mmee, then
su mmee
./firefox

i_a_coops
6th May 2007, 06:37 PM
well i still can't get firefox to run, but that's not the real problem, I know the internet's not working properly coz Elinks or the Yum or software update doesn't work. As i've said I can ping www.google.com, and what seems to be the ip address of the router, but not all pings were returned (nb i don't know much about this, it might be normal for the results to go e.g. 1,2,3,4,7 but it seems a bit unlikely). i;ve tried enabling everything to do with networking, but all this has done is made booting up take longer and some of them give me failed messages at boot as well. eth0 sometimes says OK at boot, sometimes says failed. the best i've had is software update nearly opened, but then it stuck obtaining permissions for some reason. ipv6 shouldn't be the problem. I can't think of anything else! :confused:

lmo
6th May 2007, 07:42 PM
Post your sreenshot of Network_Configuration-->Devices (eth0) -->Edit

See my previous post with a screenshot.

Since you can ping www.google.com, that means there is an internet connection.
Somehow, some setting causing problem. I am hoping to find a clue.

Also show the output of these commands:
route
cat /etc/hosts
hostname
cat /etc/sysconfig/network
cat /etc/host.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf