PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding KDE

vizual_eyez1
17th April 2007, 09:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you have to install KDE at the time of installation right?! If I didn't do that is there a way for me to install it after the installation is complete? F.Y.I. I am using Core 5. If I am to do a fresh install should I just upgrade to Core 6? Thank you for any assistance with this.

dlhennis
17th April 2007, 09:23 PM
You should be able to install it via yum after install. I don't run KDE but it should be something like yum install kde or yum install kde-base kde-otherstuff, etc.

Jongi
17th April 2007, 09:58 PM
yum groupinstall kde

silvagroup
18th April 2007, 12:02 AM
You can install from yum or even yum extender.
Be aware however that Fedora is not a KDE UI OS. So you will not get a true KDE UI. It is a Gnome UI with some KDE applications and abilities.
So if you are expecting a KDE UI OS you maybe greatly disappointed.

JN4OldSchool
18th April 2007, 12:23 AM
You can install from yum or even yum extender.
Be aware however that Fedora is not a KDE UI OS. So you will not get a true KDE UI. It is a Gnome UI with some KDE applications and abilities.
So if you are expecting a KDE UI OS you maybe greatly disappointed.

Naw, I disagree. I have used KDE in Fedora since FC4 and it is fine. It is true that it installs GDM (Metacity) as the WM by default but you can change to KWin if you really want to. Most run Compiz or Beryl anyway...Other than that though it looks and acts like any other KDE.

You might want to consider moving up to 6 in the near future or waiting till 7 is out for a couple months and moving up to that. 5 wont be supported much longer and things change fast in Fedoraland.

bob
18th April 2007, 12:34 AM
You might want to wait and try the new KDE version of Fedora7. There's a Test Version out right now, but the full version will be released approximately 5/24/07

silvagroup
18th April 2007, 12:36 AM
I was until recently running 6 with KDE.
I have searched to see if 7 will be a true KDE but haven't found anything in that regard.
The reason I say a true KDE is because there are many things taken out of KDE for Fedora for it to run in Fedora. Especially anything that may conflict with Gnome. One example that comes to mind is Kpilot. You will not find it anywhere, but a bug post shows it's been removed because it conflicts with Evolution.
Compare the packages available for KDE with those available to Fedora KDE.
Not that Fedora is a bad OS, far from it, but it's not a true KDE UI OS.

JN4OldSchool
18th April 2007, 12:55 AM
so what is kpilot? I wish you would provide a list because I run a multitude of distros and I havent missed anything in KDE Fedora at all. It runs identicle to Knoppix, Mepis, SuSE or any other KDE distro. I havent found any package that wont play nice with Gnome or any Gnome package that wont play nice with KDE. Maybe I'm just lucky? Personaly, I think all this "pureist" nonsense is stupid anyway. I run my share of Gnome apps along with KDE apps and anything else I find useful. The only problems I have encountered is switching between Gnome and KDE on the same user. This is a no-no. Just create another user. Keep the /home for each user and keep your personal stuff in another shared partition, something like /yourname. Maybe I am missing something, something you do or use that I just dont experience your problems.

At any rate...<putting virtual arm around Fedora developers shoulders> How about an XFCE version of Fedora? Come on guys! Make it lightweight, no Gnome libs or any added apps. Just a basic clean install. We can take it from there. Gnome and KDE are old hat, they are both great DEs but I am sold on XFCE. My debian etch install is S-M-O-O-T-H! It was an XFCE release and I have the few Gnome applets and KDE apps I use and it is fast, light, highly configurable, Thunar rocks...I couldnt ask for more. Come on Fedora dudes, you went as far as the seperate KDE release, give us an XFCE option too!

Jongi
18th April 2007, 02:00 AM
silvagroup - do you ever enable the kde repo and install that kde along with the kde manager instead of gdm? I'm pretty sure my FC6 KDE is as true a KDE that one can get. Notwithstanding the fact I always install Gnome as well and so always have gnome apps available.

Reisswolf
18th April 2007, 03:35 AM
Personaly, I think all this "pureist" nonsense is stupid anyway. I run my share of Gnome apps along with KDE apps and anything else I find useful.
In a way one would be inclined to agree with you. But the fact of the matter is that by using non-native applications in a desktop environment one increases the amount of RAM being used.

This is why I try to restrict myself to generic GTK+ applications in Xfce. Fortunately, Geany is such a programme.

Jongi
18th April 2007, 08:39 AM
Is The FC7 version of KDE going to be version 4?

markkuk
18th April 2007, 09:24 AM
No, the targeted release date for KDE 4 is in October.
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Schedule
Most likely it will be in Fedora 9.

silvagroup
18th April 2007, 10:40 PM
jongi,
I had the Fedora repos, installed KDE from yum extender so it also had Gnome installed.
Right now I am using Debian because I messed up one of the files in my Fedora drive and I can only log in as root.
But I don not have any problems running any of the KDE apps (and they are all there) and Gnome. I can even run Kpilot.
And since it's recommended that you do a fresh install for 7 I'll just wait for the final version of 7.
Debian is really not a bad OS, it's not as polished as FC but if I were better at this it could probably look just as good.
On that topic I could probably use all the icons and such in the plain Debian install. Isn't Fedora a Debian based distro? They sure are very similar.

Zero-Override
19th April 2007, 10:39 AM
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=153258&highlight=KDE+version

offcenter77
19th April 2007, 02:38 PM
I've never heard anything about "true KDE" or "non-true KDE", or that Fedora was not a "true KDE UI distro". There is no such thing as "pseudo-KDE" or "emulated KDE".

KDE is KDE. It will run on any Unix / Posix type system. Either you have KDE or you don't. If you have it, it should work.

JN4OldSchool
19th April 2007, 02:44 PM
I've never heard anything about "true KDE" or "non-true KDE", or that Fedora was not a "true KDE UI distro". There is no such thing as "pseudo-KDE" or "emulated KDE".

KDE is KDE. It will run on any Unix / Posix type system. Either you have KDE or you don't. If you have it, it should work.

lol, thank you. I thought I was the crazy one :D ...and as far as RAM useage? I never heard this one either. I suppose some Gnome apps may be more efficient than their KDE counterparts but then there would also be KDE apps more efficient than their Gnome counterparts and what possibile difference would what DE you are running make? Am I missing something here? At any rate, with 4GB of RAM why would I care anyway? :)

offcenter77
19th April 2007, 03:31 PM
heh... Got RAM?

silvagroup
24th April 2007, 05:02 AM
Let me give you an example https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=228880 and for a little more on the concept of true you may want check this out (they have more here also if you want more) http://dot.kde.org/1030073479/1030295839/1030304356/1030307779/1030340463/1030345522/1030408974/1030428952/1030471007/1030738681/1030740151/1030821074/1030831672/1030861534/1030865753/1030892342/1030907433/1030914267/1030927321/
That's all I am talking about.
I installed Debian 4 w/KDE just to make sure it wasn't me and I found many things that weren't in the Fedora 6. And I also got rid of some bugs I had with FC6.
Now FC7 maybe a different story, haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I really liked FC6 except for the KDE issue which showed up much later after my initial install, but problematic enough to get me on an other distro. Not my favorite thing to do, but we are creatures of habit, well some of us are anyway. :eek:

silvagroup
24th April 2007, 05:51 AM
At any rate, with 4GB of RAM why would I care anyway? that just caught up with me, yeah a little slow on the uptake there, but you must be in hog heaven.
I have a measly 512, 128 is taken up by my video chip, with the rest I run one of the what some call the bloatware, KDE (I like it however), an emulator for windows running two or three apps, wine running two apps, and my Gnu/Linux and it some times gets a little slow but 4 Gig, wow what I could do with 4 gig.
No I won't be able to sleep for days.... :(
Anyway I think that speaks allot about what a great OS Linux is if I can do all that with so little. I imagine trying something similar in Windows. You certainly would need 4 gig :eek:
Gotta love it.... :)

JN4OldSchool
24th April 2007, 02:54 PM
Silva, no offense but linux is linux. You can compile any kde package from source if you have to and get it to run in fedora. I really liked that second link you provided, did you fully read it? It claims, by what sounds like a none too competent troll who wont even use a decent screen name, that NO distro has "true" KDE because "true" KDE is just source code. This is just silly. Silva, dont fall into this mindset. You will learn more in time and look back on this with regret. Just trust me, KDE is KDE. You are correct in that Fedora, until F7, has always been "Gnomecentric." This is cool, why not? Some distros prefer KDE, some Gnome, some XFCE , some Enlightenment and even DSL has always prefered Fluxbox. You can always install the DE or WM of your choice in ANY distro barring hardware capability. I have argued in many threads that people should not try to dump Gnome in Fedora, that if you dont know what you are doing you will screw your install totally. I still hold to this advice but I know of several in here who have TOTALLY dumped Gnome and are running KDE only. To me it is simpler to just install KDE on top of Gnome along with all the others and just use whatever apps you prefer. I have never ran into any problems with this and will continue to do so. Is Reisswolf right with the RAM usage comment? Maybe. My etch install runs straight XFCE with no other DE, Beryl and limited apps and hardly any services. It is fast. It boots in an amazingly quick amount of time, maybe 15 seconds? It shuts down even quicker. I dig it. But I use Fedora for play, my install is bloated, I have 20 times more apps in my menu then I should, I have limited services and I get boot times of 30-40 seconds but it is bloated. KDE is bloated. Gnome is bloated. Hey, use what you like, it is all good. But just keep in mind that Linux is Linux. Given the time and skill I could turn Fedora into etch right down to using deb packages. Really, there just is no "true" KDE.

offcenter77
24th April 2007, 04:28 PM
I always install both Gnome and KDE, but I only run KDE. That way, there are no issues with running any app, because all dependencies are there and they all run in KDE.

And for what is "true KDE", or "true anything" for that matter, is baloney. Nothing is "true" anything unless there is some sort of "certificate" that says its a pure release, and since this is all open source managed by the community, you will get no such certificate.

KDE is still KDE. You can get the same source code and compile it anywhere. And yes, the folks the drive the KDE project have stated that they just provide the source code, but others provide the "finalized" release, such as RPMs, etc, but it's the same for much of the open source out there. The original provider creates the source code, and on an as-needed basis, others will create RPMs, and bins, and debs, etc, etc. So what? It's still the same source code.

In my opinion, using up some RAM is not a problem. If you got less 512, and you're running tons of stuff, you have to be frugal. But then if you really need more, just add more and be done with it. Make your system fit your needs. And if there's a 20mb difference between running Gnome and KDE, even a 100mb difference, who cares? If you got the RAM, use it! If you have 2gb of ram and use 1.8gb of it, and your system works fine, fire away. The only problem you will have with performance is if it starts swapping. And if that's the case, tune your system, even if that means adding memory, or maybe just shutting down some of the extra stuff on the machine that you don't really need.