PDA

View Full Version : Missing disk space.

joe.pelayo
16th April 2007, 02:49 AM
Hello everybody.

I have a curious problem with a Linux installation I have. Today I realized that my / partition was not big enough and decided to add it more disk space (I have 90+GB remaining). So I booted the system with a Ubuntu 6.10 LiveCD I've used before for such tasks (resizing) and used Gparted to resize the partition. First it moved my 1GB Swap and then I expanded the / partition 20GB. Considering the former 20GB, when I rebooted I should have a / partition 40GB big but when I booted the system again found that there were no changes. I ran Gparted again (now within the system) and yes, it was a 40GB partition but I had the SAME free disk space.

Now I don't know what to do. How can I make the system recognize my 'new' disk space? I don't wanna reinstall.

Thanks.
Joe.

daverj
16th April 2007, 02:59 AM
Im not sure how gparted works since I have not used it, but does increasing the partition also increase the size of the filesystem? Try taking a look at resize2fs. That might help.

davidj

Firewing1
16th April 2007, 03:05 AM
Things can get complicated with resizing ext3 - You usually have to remove the journal, effectively making it ext2, resize, add the journal to make it ext3 again. If gparted didn't do this for you (which it normally goes) either it's a bug on the Ubuntu CD or I would try to backup & since it will probably take that long to get the resize done without data loss (that happened to me once...)
Firewing1

joe.pelayo
16th April 2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. That is not longer a problem, at least for now. Since it was a 'brand new' system I decided to reinstall in a bigger partition. I know this was not the wisest solution but is a one that is proved to work. In fact it was a reiser partition, and I don't think there is a bug in Gparted because that same CD has been used to successfully resize other Reiser partitions before (shrink them only, though).

The thing that really 'amazed' me was the fact that after the operation Gparted recognized the partition as being 40GB in size but with 27GB used, when its former size was 20GB only.

Anyway, thanks.
Joe.