PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a chess engine

revengeska
15th April 2007, 09:45 PM
Hi. I'm running 64 bit Fedora Core 6, and I came across the source code for the chess engine Toga II 1.3x4(one of the strongest engines out there today, surpassed by only 1 engine on most rating lists). I've found compilations for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows, and I just heard that someone compiled the source on his Mac, so I'm wondering if it's possible to make a compilation on my 64 bit Linux, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Since this is a chess engine, ideally I would want to compile it with a fast compiler, if there's one faster than the GNU one(the source is C++). I'm not used to compiling multiple files on Linux without a makefile :/

The source code for the engine I want to compile can be downloaded at: ftp://cito.kicks-ass.net/pub/Other-Engines/TogaII-1.3X4.zip

This engine is far stronger than anything available natively under Linux(well, a little bit stronger than Spike, FAR stronger than Crafty). Thanks for the help.

Jman
17th April 2007, 05:32 AM
I notice old versions here: http://www.superchessengine.com/toga_ii.htm

Get the latest one that says Linux. Seemed to build fine with gcc. And then ask the maintainer to bundle a Makefile in the latest.

gcc does do lots of code optimizations, if that's what you mean by fast.

revengeska
17th April 2007, 05:50 AM
Ok well, I need the absolute best since I'm doing competitions and stuff. I suppose I can get ahold of the author and ask him. Jose-chess distributes the Toga 1.2.1 engine with the GUI, so I really don't have to worry about that, works right away. Toga 1.3x4 is quite a bit stronger than it's predecessor, so I'm dead set on getting the new version.

revengeska
18th April 2007, 06:57 AM
Ok, so I asked the person that compiled the Mac version for a makefile, and he said he didn't need one. he said "In Xcode I just used a template for creating a C++ Unix Tool. Since this is not an application, (no resources, interface, linked libs etc),it's about the simplest project you can compile." Can I compile without a makefile somehow?