PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Problem(s) (reinstall X?)

citizenkane
15th April 2007, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I recently got rid of gentoo and exchanged it for fedora 6 in the hope that it would be a bit friendlier and quicker to get things done.

Ive managed to get almost everything working, got flash player 9 working with firefox, got my networked printer to work for the first time ever on linux (yay)

Then I went and did something a bit silly. I bought Cedega for 10 ($15). I installed the livna repository, installed the most recent kmod-nvidia stuff and went to do the system tests on Cedega, it showed everything working except the "Direct Rendering" even though grep glxgears | rendering shows me Diret Rendering is enabled.

I researched forums a bit. Fedora says not to install the drivers from nvidia's site, transgaming says I should.. after messing around with my Xorg config a bit I decided to backup my libGL files (locate libGL ... cp /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.old etc etc) and have a go with the official nvidia drivers.

After killing my Xorg server about 6 times it finally stopped reloading itself ,and i installed the driver from a root terminal.

After a bit more playing with the Xorg/conf file Cedega sort of worked, but the fonts looked crap and it wouldnt let me have a screen resoultion above 1024x768.

Also, my refresh rates/screen res options are messed up in Gnome... aaand the backup copies of libGL I made are gone (lucky me). (I think the official drivers overwrite the whole fodler?).

Anyway, sorry to not post this in the big 50 page thread, but I cant make heads or tales of most of the things in there and this is somewhat different.... because...

I would like to completely reinstall the Xorg server and all its libraries and then follow advice on which drivers work with what versions of kernel mods etc etc etc..

So.... could someone tell me (as if to a complete idiot), how to reinstall Xorg, all its libraries, the OpenGL libraries, and possibly gnome, and which version(s) of the NVIDIA driver/kernel mod are known to be reliable on a 64-bit AMD system AND work ok with Cedega 6?

I have a fully updated Fedora Core 6, with newest kernel update
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB 400mhz RAM, Nvidia 7600 (GT+ i think) graphics card
EMU10k1 soundcard

Hopefully all of that makes sense and I hope someone can help.

Thanks

bob
15th April 2007, 04:07 PM
(moved to General Support)

citizenkane
16th April 2007, 07:48 PM
Or...

Is there any proper proven way to install the most popular brand of video card in the world on a Fedora system??

Using gentoo I just 'emerged' the nvidia-drivers package, it set up opengl and altered my Xorg.conf file according.

I don't understand how a distro that has a GUI to get my networked printer working in 5 minutes can have nonsensical, unfixable problems installing an NVidia graphics driver.

bob
16th April 2007, 08:02 PM
Honestly, I've never had a problem with the livna drivers and there are several 'how-to's' about getting your card working. Check the 'how-to' Forum under Nvidia. As info, Firewing1, a Community Manager here is the one developing the kmods, so he may jump in and offer some assistance if the 'how-to's' don't work.

In any case, I'm sure he'd be interested in your problem with the livna mods if you sent him a PM.

citizenkane
16th April 2007, 08:15 PM
Ok, thanks,

A side note, I just uninstalled X and gnome using the package manager GUI (in gnome) I was sort of hoping id be able to reinstall it seeing as gnome was already running and in memory..

I wonder if you could figure out what particular part of this disaster caused my system to hang? Was gnome trying to access files that were no longer there? It just seems odd that it would hang but not crash the X window system :)

leigh123linux
16th April 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi,

I recently got rid of gentoo and exchanged it for fedora 6 in the hope that it would be a bit friendlier and quicker to get things done.

Ive managed to get almost everything working, got flash player 9 working with firefox, got my networked printer to work for the first time ever on linux (yay)

Then I went and did something a bit silly. I bought Cedega for 10 ($15). I installed the livna repository, installed the most recent kmod-nvidia stuff and went to do the system tests on Cedega, it showed everything working except the "Direct Rendering" even though grep glxgears | rendering shows me Diret Rendering is enabled.

I researched forums a bit. Fedora says not to install the drivers from nvidia's site, transgaming says I should.. after messing around with my Xorg config a bit I decided to backup my libGL files (locate libGL ... cp /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.old etc etc) and have a go with the official nvidia drivers.

After killing my Xorg server about 6 times it finally stopped reloading itself ,and i installed the driver from a root terminal.

After a bit more playing with the Xorg/conf file Cedega sort of worked, but the fonts looked crap and it wouldnt let me have a screen resoultion above 1024x768.

Also, my refresh rates/screen res options are messed up in Gnome... aaand the backup copies of libGL I made are gone (lucky me). (I think the official drivers overwrite the whole fodler?).

Anyway, sorry to not post this in the big 50 page thread, but I cant make heads or tales of most of the things in there and this is somewhat different.... because...

I would like to completely reinstall the Xorg server and all its libraries and then follow advice on which drivers work with what versions of kernel mods etc etc etc..

So.... could someone tell me (as if to a complete idiot), how to reinstall Xorg, all its libraries, the OpenGL libraries, and possibly gnome, and which version(s) of the NVIDIA driver/kernel mod are known to be reliable on a 64-bit AMD system AND work ok with Cedega 6?

I have a fully updated Fedora Core 6, with newest kernel update
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB 400mhz RAM, Nvidia 7600 (GT+ i think) graphics card
EMU10k1 soundcard

Hopefully all of that makes sense and I hope someone can help.

Thanks

If you are running FC6 32 bit have you checked to see if you have a i586 kernel as the livna driver requires it.

to check use this command

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|grep kernel|sort

if its a i586 follow the link below
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=139751

bob
16th April 2007, 11:00 PM
Great catch, Leigh!

citizenkane
17th April 2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Leigh, but Im running Fedora 6 Zod 64-bit!
Ill have a go at getting it working at the weekend I think

leigh123linux
17th April 2007, 07:37 PM
for 64 bit try this

su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32bit
yum update kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-32bit
service nvidia restart

and you may need to make a couple of changes to your xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Fri Dec 15 10:12:14 PST 2006

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "extmod"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
# VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Philips"
ModelName "Philips 190V"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 7600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

citizenkane
22nd April 2007, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that, leigh, its a big step forwards, I've got everything working, except 32-bit direct rendering in cedega.

(Ive installed the kmod thing and the x11 driver from the livna repository and updated my xorg.conf si ut's like the one above)

Any ideas why 64-bit direct rendering works, but cedega cant do it?

leigh123linux
22nd April 2007, 08:03 PM
I dont know but you could try posting to this thread and see if firewing1 can help

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99285

Seve
22nd April 2007, 08:22 PM
Hello:
I cannot remember for sure, however you may have to install the
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx-libs-32bit package
I don't believe that the 32 bit libraries are included in the nomral kmod-nvidia rpm, however, I could be mistaken. :)
If you install the package from nvidia you get the option during the install process to include or exclude the 32 bit libraries [or at least it used to be that way at one time]

You can have a look see here for the package that you require.
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/x86_64/repodata/repoview/X.group.html

Seve