PDA

View Full Version : Missing Dependency (list) ... "Fedora Friend" not my friend

riffin-rich
15th April 2007, 02:12 AM
Hello all. I'm a complete newbie here. Had too many problems with various codecs ... tried at least 20 variations of fixes I read about in these forums and decided to give Fedora Friend a whirl, as advised somewhere else in this forum. Now, I'm experiencing dependency hell. Is this hard to fix? I have read that mixing repositories is a problem ... it would appear that this is a problem for me, but, I can't even tell you what I have installed because i don't even know how to investigate and tell you. Do I just need to format and start over or is it easy to recover from this? Thanks so much... Regards, Rich

Missing Dependency: libswfdec-0.3.so.0 is needed by package gstreamer08-plugins-extra-video
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package mplayer-gui
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package mplayer
Missing Dependency: faad2 = 2.0-19.20050131.lvn6 is needed by package xmms-faad2
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package mencoder
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs
Missing Dependency: libdts.so.0 is needed by package vlc

Wayne
15th April 2007, 02:19 AM
Never heard of Fedora Friend. There is another utility called Fedora Frog. Link is in another thread about playing DVDs.

Wayne

riffin-rich
15th April 2007, 02:36 AM
Never heard of Fedora Friend. There is another utility called Fedora Frog. Link is in another thread about playing DVDs.

I see you changed your avatar, Wayne. I used Fedora Friend from http://www.fedorafriend.org/ and I'm quite sure I got the recommendation from this forum ... but nonetheless, I'm completely hosed-up with these dependency problems. Any idea how I can recover? Thanks much ... Rich

Wayne
15th April 2007, 02:43 AM
I'm not sure but it could be you have a mixture of repositories enabled that don't play well together. The suggested repos are Freshrpms and Dries together OR Livna alone. If you do use the first two then you can set up Livna to be disabled by default and use it with the 'yum --enablerepo=livna' option. I don't know what repos 'Friend' enables.

Wayne

Wayne
15th April 2007, 02:46 AM
Oh, no! Don't use Friend! It seems to set-up Dries and Livna enabled, as well as ATRPMs and remi. No wonder you're getting errors! ATRPMS should be disabled by default as it doesn't play nicely at all!

Edit: Go into '/etc/yum.repos.d/' as root and open up the Dries, ATRPMs and remi repo files with gedit and change: 'enabled=1' to 'enabled=0' and save them and just get everything you need from Livna with yum.

Wayne

riffin-rich
15th April 2007, 02:59 AM
Wayne, more noob stuff. I have opened a terminal window and typed su ... logged in as root. Then opened the first file and tried to edit it but it's not letting me save it...?

Wayne
15th April 2007, 03:00 AM
Wayne, more noob stuff. I have opened a terminal window and typed su ... logged in as root. Then opened the first file and tried to edit it but it's not letting me save it...?

That is su space dash

and try again

Wayne

riffin-rich
15th April 2007, 03:04 AM
still no good. I open terminal ... su - and entered pw ...
Then opened editor and tried to edit files inside of the yum.repos.d folder ... doesn't let me ... ?

Wayne
15th April 2007, 03:07 AM
still no good. I open terminal ... su - and entered pw ...
Then opened editor and tried to edit files inside of the yum.repos.d folder ... doesn't let me ... ?

These are total noob instructions :D su - to root as you have done, then type:

nautilus

and hit <enter> navigate to yum.repos.d and double click on the repo file, edit and save.

Wayne

Wayne
15th April 2007, 03:13 AM
If it's still no good, right-click on the repo file and select 'Properties' and make sure root has read and write access on the 'Permissions' tab.

Wayne

riffin-rich
15th April 2007, 03:19 AM
Outstanding! Only dries was enabled ... disabled it and saved it as you instructed ... thank you. Now I'm down to only two packages needing updates (swfdec and vic) ... the only remaining dependency issue is:

Missing Dependency: libswfdec-0.3.so.0 is needed by package gstreamer08-plugins-extra-video

My DVD still doesn't play either. Ugggh. (I need to go to bed ... getting up early tomorrow). Thanks for all of your help with my noob issues ... hopefully I'll one day get to help others as you've so graciously done for me. Thanks again Wayne! -Rich

Wayne
15th April 2007, 03:25 AM
Enable Livna, you can get most of the stuff you need from there:

totem-xine
xine-lib-extras-nonfree
gstreamer-plugins-bad

Wayne

riffin-rich
18th April 2007, 02:46 AM
Enable Livna, you can get most of the stuff you need from there:
totem-xine
xine-lib-extras-nonfree
gstreamer-plugins-bad
Wayne
Wayne/all, sorry for delay geting back to you ... been reading/working/trying to indescribable extent ... I owed you an answer so I'm back to tell you that I'm still having problems. Your suggestions above didn't work for me. On each attempted sudo yum install, I received the response, "Nothing to do."

I deviated from your previous directions a little ... you suggested I remove FreshRPM altogether (I honestly haven't figured out how to do that yet, but that said, no disrespect intended here). Given that I used "Fedora Friend" to install a bunch of stuff, I tried following some "Fedora Friend" instructions from Billy first. He said he prefers getting mplayer from freshrpms and xine from livna. I don't know why this is, or what is different about where they come from, but, I followed his advice and I removed all "mplayer" and "xine" related packages. I then enabled core, extras, freshrpms, updates and disabled everything else, and installed all "mplayer" packages.

Once done with this, I disabled the freshrpms repo as you eplained to me above, and added livna back in and repeated the install process for all xine related apps. This worked great ... they appear to be working now. I got past all of my dependency problems too, except for one update: swfdec.

Verified I deselected all repos except for core, extras, livna, and updates. Using pup to perform an update to "swfdec - 0.4.3-2.lvn6.1.i386 updates swfdec - 0.3.6-2.fc6.rf.i386" ... I get an Error resolving dependencies: Missing Dependency: libswfdec-0.3.so.0 is needed by package gstreamer08-plugins-extra-video

So ... is there a way to overcome this error?

Stuff that's finally working now: Audacious, Audacity, Audio Player, CD Player, Grip (lame encoding ... haven't tested others), Kaboodle (playing wav files), Listen Music Player, Sound Juicer (ogg extractor), Streamtuner, Xine (audio), VLC (for DivX disc),

However, I have a lot of stuff that's not working:
- Totem (crashes every time! Generates bug report)
- DVD Player
- Xine (for DivX and DVD)
- Ogle
- KsCD (goes thru motions but no audio output?)

Any suggestions from here? I suppose I could wait for FC7, but this is good learning ... if you don't mind teaching me how to fish, so to speak. I really am reading a lot trying to figure this stuff out for myself to the extent that I can understand it, and I do want to be a FC master one day ... but this is a bit discouraging. Thanks so very much for all of your assistance. Sincerely, Rich

Wayne
18th April 2007, 03:04 AM
I didn't suggest removing Dries and Freshrpms altogether, just set their 'enabled=1' to 'enabled=0' or set livna to 'enabled=0' whatever you please. For me I have Livna as 'enabled=0' and only used it to get totem-xine.

For installing all the players and codecs I follow these instructions:

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html

Be sure to read the warning regarding mixing repos. I don't rely on any third-party install scripts or GUI installers (Fedora Frog) I like to know what is being installed, where it's being installed and where it came from, not only that, you get some experience using the Terminal!

This worked for me when I had two machines running FC5 and now running FC6. Those instructions were adapted from Stanton Finley's excellent guide for FC5 but with updated software versions and I know the person who adapted it personally.

Wayne