PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem after kernel update

Caesar Tjalbo
14th April 2007, 07:42 PM
Updated with Yum this afternoon:
- Kernel
- Tetex
and failed to update xine-lib-extras-nonfree due to dependency problem.
(problem described in this thread: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152987 )

When I start up my computer, it gets to a lo-res black screen with a cursor in the shape of an X and then stops. Booting into the old kernel (2.6.20-1.2933.fc6) works OK.

Since I didn't find a lot of topics about it here, I suppose it's my PC that's the problem. I've looked in a few logs created today but didn't find obvious errormessages, but I don't really know where to look and what to look for.

- Does anyone know what could be wrong and where I should look to fix it?
- Since the old kernel still works, I'd rather not lose it if another kernel update comes along. Is there a way to instruct Yum to install a new kernel and leave the currently installed 2 or overwrite the last?

Seve
14th April 2007, 09:40 PM
Hello:
Do you have 3rd party drivers installed for your video card ?
If so, then you will have to update the drivers, hopefully you use the livna repo.
If you do, then boot to the 2933 kernel and open a terminal and log in as root
then
yum update kmod-nvidia
or
yum update kmod-fglrx

Whichever applies to your setup.

To keep a few more kernels installed by default :
gedit /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf
and set the

tokeep=2
to
tokeep=X

Where X is the number of kernels you would like to keep.

Seve

Caesar Tjalbo
15th April 2007, 01:26 AM
Hello Seve,

Thanks for your answer.

I do use the livna repo. AFAIK I have no 3rd party drivers installed, I checked again with 'Yum info' and found nothing installed from kmod-nvidia* or kmod-fglrx*. Perhaps I should? lspci returns: 'ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE [Radeon 9500 Pro]' I haven't had any problems so I never bothered to look into it, played a bit with Compiz but that ran fine too without additional drivers.

Thx for the answer on "tokeep".

I noticed the Xine dependency I mentioned in the first post is solved.

TriBooter
16th April 2007, 02:27 PM
See my thread and see if it helps you get into the new kernel.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=775837#post775837

I think it is an update "issue" or "bug" personally, but I have no proof of that.