PDA

View Full Version : Window Position

Modarm
14th April 2007, 11:13 AM
Hello , I have a problem with my apps windows. When I open an application the window always opens to the right hand top corner of my screen. The problem being I can't see the top of the title bar because it is obscured so I have to drag it down to see the title bar. Is there a way to tell all apps to open centered and middle of screen so the title bar is not obscured behind the menu bar at the top?

See pic for details.

Thanks in for any help.
file:///home/DAISYSOLUTIONS/darren.molloy/Desktop/Screenshot.png

normwinslow
14th April 2007, 01:58 PM
Having a similar problem: all windiws open above and behind task bar. Therefore they can't be closed or resized. Let me know how you make out.

normwinslow@verizon.net

scott_g
14th April 2007, 05:27 PM
Are you using Compiz (Desktop Effects)/Beryl?

Scott

Modarm
15th April 2007, 03:52 AM
Hi Scott, I am using the default, I am not sure how to check but I think it is Compiz?

Thanks

jdeslip
15th April 2007, 06:09 AM
If you change from compiz to beryl there is a setting to tell it where to open new windows. In compiz, I don't know what to do. You can always move the windows by holding down the alt key and clicking and dragging anywhere in the window.

normwinslow
15th April 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks much for the councel... that's exactly what I did (D/L'd Beryl. Also learned I could move the task bar out of the way ...

Thanx again,

Norm

scott_g
15th April 2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Scott, I am using the default, I am not sure how to check but I think it is Compiz?

Thanks

Do you have desktop effects (3d cube, wobbly windows and stuff) enabled? If so, its better to use beryl (gives more options), like jdeslip said.

I used to have the same problem with compiz but I installed beryl, and all became better.

Good luck.
Scott

Modarm
15th April 2007, 10:54 PM
Hi, this is a strange one because if I login as "root" everything places correctly!
I tried deleting my home folder as Modarm and logging back in but it made no difference. I guess it must be some conf file causing the problem. If I find a fix I will post here.

Thanks,
Darren

Modarm
16th April 2007, 11:53 PM
Hi, I have sorted a fix to the problem so it now works on my machine when I am logged in, (no windows obscured now)

I use compiz and metacity (the default)

Howto:
open "file browser" ->view -> show hidden -> then go into (in your home folder) .gconf -> apps -> compiz -> Here you will find two folders "plugins and general" you need to drill down to the very bottom of general ->-> options and in there you will find %gconf.xml this is the file which needs to be changed.

Here is mine. Don't forget to back yous up!

---------------this line is not part of what you want!

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="fullscreen_visual_bell" mtime="1176761605" type="bool" value="true">
</entry>
<entry name="visual_bell" mtime="1176761605" type="bool" value="false">
</entry>
<entry name="audible_bell" mtime="1176760567" type="bool" value="true">
</entry>
<entry name="active_plugins" mtime="1176326186" type="list" ltype="string">
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>gconf</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>decoration</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>wobbly</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>fade</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>minimize</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>cube</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>rotate</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>zoom</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>move</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>resize</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>place</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>scale</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>switcher</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>water</stringvalue>
</li>
</entry>
</gconf>

------------------- this line is not part of what you want!

In actual fact you can copy to the same location in plugins but General ->-> options/ works more how I want (it remembers most windows last position
) Firstly I would copy to general location then plugins ->-> options/%gconf.xml just to see difference (if any)
I am assuming you are not running Beryl and have the standard setup. I did not want to make changes from the default Fedora setup as I like consistancy with the release FC6.

citojaso
12th May 2008, 02:54 PM
i don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but i had the same problem. i removed compiz and my desktop "broke". i opened a terminal window, became root and then typed ... metacity ... and everything went back to normal.

A.Serbinski
12th May 2008, 03:23 PM
Applications --> System Tools --> Configuration Editor
If that doesn't exist, do "yum install gconf-editor" first.

Navigate to apps --> compiz --> general --> allscreens --> options, and edit the "active_plugins" entry and add to it "place".

You can change the place plugin's behavior through apps --> compiz --> plugins --> place --> screen0 --> options, and change the "mode" entry. There are a few options to define how windows are placed on the screen.

sidebrnz
13th May 2008, 04:05 AM
Adding "place" didn't work, even after logging out and back in. Mode has nothing about remembering window positions. Any other suggestions?