PDA

View Full Version : yum- "could not find any working storages"

el_ricardo
13th April 2007, 07:25 PM
I've been getting this error every time I want to install software from yum, its saying "could not find any working storages". It does it from terminal, and in yumex, which is incredibly annoying because i was just about do a system update, not sure what else i can say, theres not much more info i can post really, any help would be great

this is the bug report it gave me-

Component: yumex
Version: 1.2.1
Summary: TB03120a34 yumexmain.py:1045:_runBackground:YumBaseError: Could not find any working storages.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumexmain.py", line 1108, in ?
mainApp = YumexMainApplication()
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumexmain.py", line 541, in __init__
self.setup_yum()
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumexmain.py", line 989, in setup_yum
if self._runBackground( self.yumexbase.setup, rload ):
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumexmain.py", line 1045, in _runBackground
raise self.backgroundThread.exception
YumBaseError: Could not find any working storages.

Local variables in innermost frame:
runfunc: <bound method yumexBase.setup of <yumex.yumexBase.yumexBase object at 0xa12824c>>
args: (False,)
self: <__main__.YumexMainApplication instance at 0xa113a8c>

DollaBillz217
13th April 2007, 07:34 PM
You should have some reposities configured in /etc/yum.d/ if I remember the path correctly. They are basically text files, one file per one reposity ('storage'), containing some information like URLs for mirrors. There is plenty of information on how to add new reposities, and probably configuring old ones too (the easiest method is to download an rpm that adds some reposities for you), on the net so go ahead; I'd search for an rpm for Fedora Core 6 reposities (assuming your running FC6). Download and after manual installation you should be fine.

If files do exist, check out they are accessible (permissions) and contain correct information (i.e. you can ping the addresses).

If you ARE running FC6 x86_64,not sure if you are, I strongly recommend against doing yum update.

For me, it results in nothing but a totaly destabilized system with impossible to fix dependency problems, multiple versions of the same thing, both x86_64 and i386 versions of stuff, etc. This is for a default install with no additional repositories. Basically, the system becomes a disaster.

paul matthijsse
13th April 2007, 09:00 PM
Something is wrong with your yum (have never seen that message in two years on several machines). I suggest to reinitialise your yum configuration; search in this forum for something like "how to set up yum", I believe it's in one of the fedora faqs.

Cheers, Paul.