PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Fedora Core

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:17 PM
Hi, I installed Fedora Core 2 a few years back and set up a dual boot. I have Windows on the primary drive and Fedora Core 2 and all the partitions needed for Fedora Core 2 on the Slave drive. I recently decided to make it easier for myself, and since I recently got a conciderable amount of money =) to just buy another PC and put Fedora Core 4 on it. I tried using the Windows MMC to defragment drive D (the secondary) but can't. I then put in the Fedora Core 2 installation CD to see if you could do it via that, but I don't think you can. I browsed a bit on google and a bit on this site, and all the tuts are about installing rather then removing. Could someone help me remove Fedora Core 2 off the Slave drive and install Windows on it?

bob
13th April 2007, 04:29 PM
Sure. You can wipe the drive using dban or any partitioner such as gparted live or PartitionMagic. Once the partitions are deleted, you'll be able to install WinXP or anything else onto it. Now, since Windows loves to be first on any drive or in any machine, you may have to unplug your primary drive and boot the slave as single to install it.

pete_1967
13th April 2007, 04:29 PM
First set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD. Then put in the Windows installation disk and restart your computer. When the Windows installation screen comes up, select 'Repari Current Installation' (or something similar) and once it's finished starting you'll be on command line. From there, type `fixmbr` that'll replace GRUB with regular MS stuff.

Restart normally into Windows and select the drive Fedora is installed in Explorer, right click and select 'Format', follow the prompts and you're done.

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks bob, I don't however have the WinXP Installation CD =( is there something I can download. Also I am not familiar with a partitioner, but if you can't explain I can search the net for some tuts I spose.

What should I do about not having the CD?

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:33 PM
pete that would work great >.< only I don't have the installation CD and am currently not in the US.

Dan
13th April 2007, 04:35 PM
Morning.

Try downloading and burning this image to a CD, then boot from that CD and use the program that loads to re-partition your drive.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Enjoy.

Dan

EDIT: Regarding re-installing Windows -- without the install CD -- you're on your own. If you don't have the CD, go to, www.microsoft.com and make arrangements to have one sent to you. Or, you may be able to use a credit card to download the CD from there. I don't know. I don't use Windows.

D.

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Sigh... sorry to keep adding problems to this but I also don't have a burner, the only Idea I have is to buy the CD but I am not in the US and getting such a CD isn't really do-able =[

I could save the ISO to a virtual drive but then I couldnt set it as first boot =[

Dan
13th April 2007, 04:39 PM
I believe there is a version available there that will work from a USB thumbdrive.

EDIT: Hit the link marked "LiveUSB"

D.

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:43 PM
Kay I can buy that down here, still is there any other way I could do this or is buying a J-Drive the only other way?

EDIT: I like being Cheep =D

stoat
13th April 2007, 04:49 PM
Hello leathan,
Could someone help me remove Fedora Core 2 off the Slave drive and install Windows on it?If I am understanding this correctly, you still have XP working on this machine. If so, the Windows XP Disk Manager will delete Linux partitions. Enter the XP Disk Management utility...

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Once in Disk Management, right-click on a Linux partition and select "Delete partition".

Dan
13th April 2007, 04:49 PM
Sure! There's another way.

Just send me your computer, with prepaid shipping, and two or three $100.00 bills (U.S.D.), and I'll be happy to do it for you. But I guess that isn't really so cheap, is it?

Dan

<..:p..>

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:52 PM
Stoat I deleted them all but I left the partition where Grub is located. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I delete it wont it not let me boot either OS, and force me to re-install the boot loader?

P.S. After I delete them what should I do xD

leathan
13th April 2007, 04:53 PM
Dan, address please?

EDIT: Only Joken =)

Dan
13th April 2007, 04:55 PM
Tangled Web News & Images
P.O. Box *****
La Junta CO, 81050

<..:D..>

EDIT: Try TigerDirect.com. I think you can get a 256k Jump drive for under $5.00 US

leathan
13th April 2007, 05:00 PM
Tangled, since we are talknig about cheep I decided its better if you send me the WinXP CD. Thanks in advance =)

P.S. stoat ^^

stoat
13th April 2007, 05:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I delete it wont it not let me boot either OS, and force me to re-install the boot loader?Yes, if you are dual-booting with GRUB. As pete_1967 said, you will need to restore the boot code in the master boot record. Can you borrow a friend's XP CD for the 2 minutes it takes to run fixmbr in the Recovery Console? You can use any XP CD for this.

Dan
13th April 2007, 05:07 PM
Tangled, since we are talknig about cheep I decided its better if you send me the WinXP CD. Thanks in advance =)

P.S. stoat ^^ Sorry. Don't have one. Fed my last Microsoft CD to the paper shredder several years ago!

<..:eek:..>

Dan

stoat
13th April 2007, 05:45 PM
leathan,

Here's another idea. There is a free utility available for download on the Internet called MbrFix. I have never used it, but I would if I were in a jam like you are now. Just Google for MbrFix and you will immediately find it and plenty of documentation. Use it to restore your master boot record on the XP drive and get XP booting by itself again. Then you can finish clearing out the slave drive. You will be left with free space on the slave drive that you can do with what ever you please.

leathan
13th April 2007, 05:56 PM
Dear lord sorry for the delay I was refreshing and refreshing and forgot to look for a second page >.< Dan thats great that you did that TBH, I use windows for games =( stoat I'll go do that now thanks alot for the help. You guys are terrific, hope you all get modded soon.

AlexDudko
13th April 2007, 11:58 PM
Let's organize an ouction! Just $50,000 will be inough for me to solve the problem! Any cheaper suggestions? ;)

By the way, are you still able to load your Windows XP? Or you have deleted the loader? If there is one, follow Stoat's recommendation. If there isn't and you have your linux distribution, then you can install a linux loader (grub or lilo), configure it and use as your Windows XP loader! For lilo it will look something like that:
boot=/dev/hda1
label=windows
boot-as=0x80
I don't remember for sure, just experiment. (I don't have windows now, so I can't test it)
I did it a year ago and it worked. :)