PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rip and Encode Times

Seve
13th April 2007, 02:53 AM
Hello:
I have very little experience in ripping and encoding DVD's, so I was wondering what the normal time would be for an average commercial movie ?
For example :
Ripping the DVD and encoding it in Mpeg-4

Seve

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 03:04 AM
For me it's around 23-28 minutes to encode using k9copy then about another 5 to burn using k3b. I used Devedee once but it took about an hour.

Seve
13th April 2007, 03:14 AM
Hello scotta3234:

Thanks for the information.
I really have no idea and I am testing out a package that rips and encodes DVD's with the thought of getting into the repos ....

I suppose a lot has to do with the default encoder, as I can't see the actual rip times being the bottle neck. On the other hand I may be completely off base :)

Does 1 pass versus 2 pass have a large impact on time ?

Seve

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 03:19 AM
Chances are that the program is simply using tools like DVDAuthor, Transcode, and mkisofs, so the speeds will be about the same in other programs. I could be wrong with this though. Do you have a link to the program you're testing? I'm always willing to test out new software.

-Edit- As with the 1 pass vs. two pass I can't say for certain that I'm an expert and know what's going on but I would think that a second pass would increase encoding time substantially. I believe this is what happened when I tried to create an ISO using Devedee.

Seve
13th April 2007, 03:26 AM
Hello:
I can attach a valid rpm build [at least here] if you would like to test it out ?
It installs fine with rpm ivh, creates the menu item etc.
and removes the application cleanly with
rpm -e
so in that regard it is safe :)

Let me know and I will attach it and you can give it a whirl and see what you think.
I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Seve

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 03:28 AM
Yeah I'd be happy to give it a run, post a link when you can.

Seve
13th April 2007, 03:33 AM
Hello:
See the attached.
Just save and then rename to remove the .txt
and you should be good to go.

Thanks again.

Seve

Dies
13th April 2007, 03:45 AM
Ripping is usually +/- 15 minutes. Both Windows and Linux.

Two pass encoding usually takes a LOT longer than single pass which already takes a while, but the quality is better. And it depends a lot on the hardware of course. I haven't had much luck with encoding on Linux, probably user error though.

Thanks for the rpm Seve, I'll try it out tomorrow.

Seve
13th April 2007, 03:48 AM
Hello Dies:

Thanks, I appreciate the information and look forward to your feedback. :)

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 03:51 AM
So far it's telling me it needs 1 hour 14 mins to extract. Umm, just gone down to 1 hour....

Wayne

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 03:52 AM
Alright well the program installed just fine and is now ripping and encoding a dvd to mpeg-4. The only setting I changed in the preferences was to change it to single pass. The estimated time started at 26 minutes, but it seemed as though it might have sped up slightly.

-Edit- What's interesting is how easy to use this ripper and encoder seems to be for the user. Also, like I mentioned above most rippers and encoders depend on quite a few other packages to do the real work. I'd be interested to know what exactly it's using.

-Edit2- I'm on a AMD athlon 3800

Seve
13th April 2007, 03:55 AM
So far it's telling me it needs 1 hour 14 mins to extract. Umm, just gone down to 1 hour....

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
Well that's not good ..... :(

Hmmmm....

So I guess at this point it's not on your must have list :)

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 03:58 AM
I just changed the setting to single pass and the extract time just went down to about 40 mins.

Wayne

Seve
13th April 2007, 04:02 AM
Alright well the program installed just fine and is now ripping and encoding a dvd to mpeg-4. The only setting I changed in the preferences was to change it to single pass. The estimated time started at 26 minutes, but it seemed as though it might have sped up slightly.

-Edit- What's interesting is how easy to use this ripper and encoder seems to be for the user. Also, like I mentioned above most rippers and encoders depend on quite a few other packages to do the real work. I'd be interested to know what exactly it's using.
Hello:
First, thanks for the the feedback. :)

I will have to have a look and get back to you about the libraries and packages it is using. It may take me a while as I built it on another machine and that !$!#$$ machine is acting up at the moment. It also has to only spec file that I have avaialable.
That being said, I am certain it is using packages / libraries that are available on fc

Did you have an menu item created for you ?
And if so, did it launch okay and do you find it easy to use ?
Sorry, in other words do you think it would be user friendly ?

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:02 AM
Hello Wayne:
Well that's not good ..... :(

Hmmmm....

So I guess at this point it's not on your must have list :)

Seve

Hi Seve,

It may have something to do with hardware and possibly amount of RAM and whether you encode to hard disk first. I've seen ripping and encoding/burning take an hour or more here.

One more app for the collection :D

Wayne

Seve
13th April 2007, 04:03 AM
I just changed the setting to single pass and the extract time just went down to about 40 mins.

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
Would you consider that average or acceptable times ?

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:04 AM
Yes, yes and yes. :)

Wayne

Dies
13th April 2007, 04:11 AM
Hi Seve,

It may have something to do with hardware and possibly amount of RAM and whether you encode to hard disk first. I've seen ripping and encoding/burning take an hour or more here.

One more app for the collection :D

Wayne

May?

Not may, definitely has a LOT to do with CPU and RAM, going from an Athlon XP 1800+ to an X2 4600+ cut my encoding times to less than half.

Didn't seem to have much effect on ripping times though. :(

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:12 AM
Umm, I just went to their homepage and their are Fedora RPMs available:

http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ogmrip

Edit: Ahh, I see they are a little older than the current build.

ogmrip.i686 0.10.3-1 installed
ogmrip.i386 0.10.2-1.fc6 freshrpms
ogmrip-debuginfo.i386 0.10.0-1.fc6.rf dries
ogmrip-devel.i386 0.10.2-1.fc6 freshrpms

Wayne

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 04:13 AM
This application is probably the most basic, pain free, and easy to use ripper/encoder that I have encountered with linux... but.... This is probably due to the fact that I didn't have to install a ton of dependencies just to get things working. The biggest problems with encoding/ripping in linux in my opinion are. 1. The programs are hard to configure and get working, either do in part to having to rely on a ton of other packages, or... like the case of DVDRip..... it's just flat out difficult for the average user to configure for doing something as simple as ripping and encoding a dvd. While DVDRip may have many more features.... most people probably aren't probably using these. I only say this because I've responded to so many threads about people wanting to rip a dvd but they were trying to use dvdrip to do it when there are much simpler options. A program like this would be a great improvement upon this, as well as a "first choice" or recommendation to people who just want rip and encode without all the fuss.

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:19 AM
Another simple ripper is dvd95, it builds an ISO which you can easily burn in Gnome with the right-click menu option.

Wayne

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:21 AM
Hello Wayne:
Would you consider that average or acceptable times ?

Seve

Possibly for my hardware but I haven't ripped a DVD in ages so can't recall times. Unfortunately, it seems to be taking longer than it says and the time remaining is going up and down :D

Wayne

Dies
13th April 2007, 04:22 AM
@scotta
My problems don't stem so much from the ripping portion, although I completely agree with your conclusions.

My problems come when I want to burn a bunch of avi's - just an example - say a tv series and I want a nice little menu, etc. I just haven't come across anything that makes this process pain free on Linux, I've seen a couple of promising apps but they are very inconsistent, again probably user error.

Sure I could learn how to do it from the command line, but screw that rebooting is just so much faster and easier. I can just drag and drop a bunch of files, any kind of files, set up a nice little menu all in 5-10 minutes then start it before I go to bed and in the morning it's ready and it works everytime.

This is one area where Linux definitely NEEDS a killer app.

I don't mind paying extra as long as it works everytime with minimum fuss. If the package gets huge because they need to include a bunch of deps, fine with me.

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:26 AM
Put that down to typical British understatement :) I mean, it could be raining cats and dogs and we'd say something like "Umm, it seems to be a little wet" :D

Wayne

scotta3234
13th April 2007, 04:27 AM
Are you talking about retaining the original menu structure... or creating your own? I've found that the menus can in most situations be retained by apps like k9copy, although i completely agree that it's extremely touchy and doesn't work all the time. There ARE new apps being developed that I have looked into which should end up doing a better job of creating your own menus such as Q-DVD Author.

Seve
13th April 2007, 04:28 AM
Hello:
Thanks for the feedback folks. :)

And yes Wayne, there is a rpm version that is available from freshrpms. however, it doesn't always blend well with fc as they have different build requirements etc. Of which some do not exist in FC. ???
Therefore, I was thinking that I would try and get it approved to add to
extras [soon to be combined with core]

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:37 AM
Hello:
Thanks for the feedback folks. :)

And yes Wayne, there is a rpm version that is available from freshrpms. however, it doesn't always blend well with fc as they have different build requirements etc. Of which some do not exist in FC. ???
Therefore, I was thinking that I would try and get it approved to add to
extras [soon to be combined with core]

Seve

Would you need to do something to make sure that its dependencies are met?

mplayer, mencoder, ogmtools, mkvtoolnix, oggenc, lame, and faac

I'm not sure if I have all of them, at least I don't recall hearing about 'mkvtoolnix'

Wayne

Seve
13th April 2007, 04:52 AM
Would you need to do something to make sure that its dependencies are met?

mplayer, mencoder, ogmtools, mkvtoolnix, oggenc, lame, and faac

I'm not sure if I have all of them, at least I don't recall hearing about 'mkvtoolnix'

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
Yes, you are correct about the dependencies.
The build dependencies and the required dependencies are as far as I understand are distinct issues.

I am still in the look-see phase and I have to iron out some of those issues.
I have been in discussion with the developer and am working on narrowing down the dependency issues.
Which, by the way is a a PITA ....
I built the current rpm with all but the kitchen sink. :)
if you do a
yum list | grep mkv
it should come back with

mkvtoolnix.i386 1.8.1-1.fc6 installed
mkvtoolnix-gui.i386 1.8.1-1.fc6 installed

Again, I have to sort this out with the rpm build dependencies .

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 04:54 AM
This is what happened with only 1 minute to go!

Wayne

Seve
13th April 2007, 05:02 AM
This is what happened with only 1 minute to go!

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
I can only guess that it is my fault with the rpm spec file.
Do you have subtitleripper.i386 isntalled ?

My apologies.

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 05:05 AM
Hello Wayne:
I can only guess that it is my fault with the rpm spec file.
Do you have subtitleripper.i386 isntalled ?

My apologies.

Seve

Yes, it's installed.

Wayne

Seve
13th April 2007, 05:09 AM
Hello Wayne:
I will have to check the build process again, I have not had that issue before.
I suspect it is in my spec file that the problem lies as the src rpm failed miserably in mock.
Have to switch machines to check and and see if I can correct the issues, it may or may not take a few minutes as I am still in the learning process here :)

Seve

Wayne
13th April 2007, 05:14 AM
mkvtoolnix.i386 1.8.1-1.fc6 extras
mkvtoolnix-debuginfo.i386 1.7.0-1.fc6.rf dries
mkvtoolnix-gui.i386 1.8.1-1.fc6 extras

I'll install them now and maybe try again later. I'm giving DeVeDe a whirl now as I noticed there was a newer version than the one I had.

Wayne

Wayne
13th April 2007, 05:40 AM
dvd95 took 5.04 minutes to create an ISO from the same DVD. i don't know how long it took to burn the ISO as my desktop locked up because of too much activity :) When I was sure it had finished I restarted X and the DVD is playing now.

Wayne

Wayne
13th April 2007, 07:50 AM
I tried again with a simpler disk, it has no subtitles and one film. The first extraction took about 35 mins but the next step is estimated at 6 hours!

Wayne

Dies
13th April 2007, 09:54 PM
I tried again with a simpler disk, it has no subtitles and one film. The first extraction took about 35 mins but the next step is estimated at 6 hours!

Wayne

Yeah, if you just want a straight DVD copy this is not the right tool, but if you want to take a full DVD and turn it into a 1.3 +/- .avi for example, this thing does a nice job and is pretty simple to use.

Good quality on one pass took about an hour on my machine, I'm going to see how high quality two pass does tonight.

Only thing that's strange and it's possible I just didn't understand, I'll have to read up on it, is I set it for two CD sized targets but it seems to ignore that setting.

All in all, I like it, thanks Seve. :)

brunson
13th April 2007, 10:37 PM
@scotta
My problems don't stem so much from the ripping portion, although I completely agree with your conclusions.

My problems come when I want to burn a bunch of avi's - just an example - say a tv series and I want a nice little menu, etc. I just haven't come across anything that makes this process pain free on Linux, I've seen a couple of promising apps but they are very inconsistent, again probably user error.

Sure I could learn how to do it from the command line, but screw that rebooting is just so much faster and easier. I can just drag and drop a bunch of files, any kind of files, set up a nice little menu all in 5-10 minutes then start it before I go to bed and in the morning it's ready and it works everytime.

This is one area where Linux definitely NEEDS a killer app.

I don't mind paying extra as long as it works everytime with minimum fuss. If the package gets huge because they need to include a bunch of deps, fine with me.
Have you seen this? http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

Saw it linked from another post today.

Dies
13th April 2007, 11:25 PM
Yup, the last time I tried it, it was pretty horrible but looks like some things have changed, I'll have to check it out again thanks for the link.

Wayne
13th April 2007, 11:52 PM
Have you seen this? http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

Saw it linked from another post today.

Yeah, I found a Fedora RPM and posted a new thread about it.

Wayne