PDA

View Full Version : softwares root directory

100%digital
12th April 2007, 11:45 PM
Hello All,

what is the most comman place for software installed via yum to reside? when you compile and install from source your know what your "working" directory is, but the yum install just does it all... more specifcally i've installed wireshark via yum. many thanx to all

fc6_user
13th April 2007, 12:17 AM
Look in /usr/bin.

100%digital
17th April 2007, 11:49 PM
thanks for the reply but thats why I've asked for the ROOT directory... directories are created in usr/etc, /etc, different share directories, and so on...

if you install wireshare, what is the installed directory that will allow you to run the app?

silvagroup
18th April 2007, 12:12 AM
I would do a search and find the file - whereis should give you a starting point.

Seve
18th April 2007, 12:32 AM
Hello All,

what is the most comman place for software installed via yum to reside? when you compile and install from source your know what your "working" directory is, but the yum install just does it all... more specifcally i've installed wireshark via yum. many thanx to all
Hello:
The lazy man's way to see where yum installed the files, is to launch yumex, find the installed application / rpm, then have a look see under the Files Tab.

You can also as root run updatedb and then use
locate wireshark
and it will bring back the information you are looking for as well.

Seve

100%digital
18th April 2007, 04:12 AM
Many thanks for all of your help, the locate command seems to find all pathways assosited with my search, but i'm still unable to run the application. I'm looking for a startup script right? what should this file look like? both the readme and the FAQ do not contain this information. What does the "updatedb" command do? it took some time to run the first time, but was very fast theirafter..... Thanks again for your help.

Seve
18th April 2007, 04:54 AM
Hello:
Normally if you run the locate "filename"
and whatever you find in /usr/bin
just open a terminal and type that name
and it should launch.

The updatedb command just updates the database used by the locate command.
I believe it is usually enabled to run in cron, however, since cron is by default set to run at 4 a:m a lot of folks don't have their pc's on and as such it is not updated on a timely basis. :)
If you want to learn more about it and get a better explanation than I can provide. Just open a terminal and type
man updatedb
and or
man locate

Seve

100%digital
18th April 2007, 06:20 PM
MANY THANX Seve, great post. I've found that most of my software will launch from the usr/bin and the /sbin directory, but sometimes I need to have "./" infront of the file name in order for it to launch???

The locate, and whereis... are both super sweet commands.

The reason why I wasn't able to launch the wireshark gui was... I didn't install it :) I simply yum'd the wireshark-gnome and then I was golden... but why did my system now encounter a problem when I installed -gnome, when the only gui I have installed is KDE???

again, thankyou for you great insight and turning me on the some sweet new commands.

Best,

J

on a slightly different note, when capturing traffic with wireshark, does it make any differance if my nic card is in "promisc" mode or note??? doesn't seem to make any diff, but when I was using an bt live boot cd, it was very important.