PDA

View Full Version : Fc7

shyamndpatel
12th April 2007, 03:28 PM
has anyone started using fc7 and do you recommend it for a newbie.........

Plossl
12th April 2007, 03:37 PM
I haven't used it, but test releases are not for newbies. Stick with FC 6 and you can find answers to many problems already in this forum.

baschti
12th April 2007, 03:40 PM
hi,
since fc7 is not yet released you can only use fc7t3 which i don't recommend for a newbie
either you wait for fc7 or use fc6

Dan
24th May 2007, 02:33 PM
Morning Shyamndpatel.

I'd say it depends entirely on your tolerance for bugs and glitches. F7 will eventually be quite spiffy, but for the first two months, it will be constantly updated, and some of those updates may break things. There will be a lot of work-arounds to go through and some on-the-fly fixes to be figured out.

If you're up to the challenge, F7 is going to be the hottest game in town. But there are risks. If you're at all risk averse, squeemish about the terminal, really need a rock solid performer, or are just plain impatient, stick with FC6.

You can always try F7 in a few months. Once it's broke to saddle, it'll be a going concern, but before that happens, if you're not prepared to possibly have to manually edit files or completely re-install (maybe more than once), you'll just have to back off and let the big dogs run some of the fight out of it first!

Dan

JN4OldSchool
24th May 2007, 02:36 PM
(psssst) Hey...Dan...check the date of the OP! He is probably knee deep in brown fiesty fawn droppings by now!

Dan
24th May 2007, 02:38 PM
Possibly, JN4.

But about 0400 local he was still asking questions about F7.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155782

Things cooling off down there yet?

Dan

JN4OldSchool
24th May 2007, 02:43 PM
yeah, we are good. Just need some rain. Supposed to be a bad hurricane season though...You know, I have lived in Fl my whole life and I have only been through 2 hurricanes before 2004! By the time they get over my area they are blown out to tropical storm 30MPH or so. But these last few years? Va is starting to look very inviting! Maybe I will head out to your neighborhood, see some real mountains!

edit: lol, just checked that other thread. Sounds like my man should do a wee bit of research :)

Dan
24th May 2007, 02:48 PM
Better stop at Ft. Knox on the way. It's turning into a Blue State haven, and the property prices (and therefore taxes) are stunningly insane!

But ... you're sure welcome anyway! Just don't bring any of them dang oversized snakes! Or maybe ... yeah! Bring two. But only two: both males. I need a new pair of boots! <..:p..>

Dan

William Haller
24th May 2007, 02:50 PM
Or you could always relocate to Colorado to see some REAL mountains (or Wyoming to see some REAL mountains and no rain to boot!) Course the topical storm force winds blowing snow all winter might be a downer if you've lived in Florida all your life.

Dan
24th May 2007, 02:52 PM
Hmmm.

A little dry up there this year, Bill?

Dan

William Haller
24th May 2007, 03:01 PM
Actually, it's been better locally this year - but the last few years have left things pretty dry so there's a lot of catching up to do. There is only a tiny corner in the northeast part of the state that isn't in drought. About half the state is classed either extreme, severe or moderate drought.

We usually turn green for a couple of months late April to mid June. Then it's mostly brown again.

Peter_APIIT
24th May 2007, 03:01 PM
I using F 7 now but i cannot update the software. I think the yum has problem.

I hope this may help others.

JN4OldSchool
24th May 2007, 03:03 PM
You are going to laugh but Casper Wyoming is actually one of the places I would like to live! I knew a guy from there but have never been myself. Alaska is up there also. Dan, There was a time when we were thinking of moving outside Santa Fe but the property prices were the roadblock. We couldnt even find anything to rent. Back to reality though, I am smelling Virginia already and I am still 2-3 years out. I have lived in Fl my whole life and I love the place, but it makes me sad here lately. I have watched progress totally transform this place. No more hunting and fishing, no more groves and woods. No more space. My property value has more than quadrupled in 10 years! What was once cheap trash land is now a gold mine. The kids are grown, I am getting too old to work and I am ready to play. Fl. is just too damn hot in the summers. Yeah...<leaning back in chair, hands behind head, eyes closed, dreaming of long hikes up the appalachian trail...>

Dan
24th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Actually, it's been better locally this year - but the last few years have left things pretty dry so there's a lot of catching up to do. There is only a tiny corner in the northeast part of the state that isn't in drought. About half the state is classed either extreme, severe or moderate drought.

We usually turn green for a couple of months late April to mid June. Then it's mostly brown again. That was about the norm down here for the last 7 years too, but all that snow in January greened the place right up. A little too late for a lot of the cottonwoods and elms though. We're not going to lack for firewood for a while. <..:cool:..>

Dan
24th May 2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah...<leaning back in chair, hands behind head, eyes closed, dreaming of long hikes up the appalachian trail...> Ayup! I've been thinking about driving down into that area and looking around. More toward Ark. or Tenn. though. This last winter took a lot of the fight out of me. Kinda gettin' tired of the snow.

Dan

Janl
24th May 2007, 03:22 PM
Where do you live Dan? Just curious. I'm in MN, but just moved up here just shy of a year ago after spending my life (short though that it's been) in eastern KY.

I do miss the mountains mostly in the morning when it gets daylight before 5:30am..... stupid flat land.

Dan
24th May 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm down here on the Colorado Plains in a town called La Junta. (Of Bent's Fort and the Santa Fe Trail fame)

Know what you mean about the flatlands. I think the carpet wrinkles in the bathroom hallway have more terrain than anything inside of 30 miles from here.

I'd love to watch the sun come up back there in KY. In my minds eye I see a lot of green, some morning mist, and maybe a few critters waking up to a new day. *Sigh!*

ovadyah
24th May 2007, 03:35 PM
looking for excitment, come on down and watch for hurricanes.

Dan
24th May 2007, 03:39 PM
No thanks!

Always made me a little nervous to look UP at a dam. (or a levee)

Dan
24th May 2007, 03:45 PM
Oh!

And ...

Welcome aboard ovadyah!

Dan

William Haller
24th May 2007, 04:05 PM
JN4 - As the smallest population state, you'd be welcome. Just keep in mind I wasn't kidding about the 30 MPH blowing snow in January and February! On the other hand, that's what keeps it warm (the warm wind is from the Southwest). It's when the wind stops or comes slowly from the North that it gets real brrrr and snows again.

ovadyah
24th May 2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks TangledWeb,
I just joined this am to be ready for f7 and with a machine i just built I may need some help.

Dan
24th May 2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks TangledWeb,
I just joined this am to be ready for f7 and with a machine i just built I may need some help. Then you've come to the right place! We're all just a waitin'!

Dan

ovadyah
24th May 2007, 05:55 PM
Dan,
I have been using fedora for a year or so. Just built this machine and have a good friend and tech who works with me, he knows programing and software -- I am a basically self taught and learning tech who sees no other way to go other than fedora. I have to admit I still have a small partition with xp on it, it is a sata drive which dual boots to FC6. I want to add a second drive (ata) to put F7 on to test and next replace the FC6 with F7 on the dual boot drive and then play with rawhide or what ever on the 2 drive (and maybe a 3rd). I have seen one thread with help on configuring grub etc. Any other suggestions on where/how to look for help in this area.
Thanks.