PDA

View Full Version : Server sporadically shuts down

Anadarwheels
11th April 2007, 09:05 PM
Customer wants me to load newer version of Fedora on machine, but doesnt want to allow the 1+ hour needed to load and configure all services. Me with my Bright Ideas, loaded the OS (FC7) onto a hardrive using a 1.4Ghz p4 processor. When I swap the hard drives everything appears fine, but after a random amount of time the Computer will just shutdown, no log messages just off. That computer is a 2Ghz PII celeron. The only thing close to errors I can see are messages in the boot about ACPI Workaround. Could this be causing the random shutdowns? Should I tell my customer if I cannot load OS on his machine fresh to find someone else?

The OS upgrade is from RH 8.0 -> FC7

I dont have these shutdown issues while the hard drive is in the machine I loaded on.

Flame ON

Thanks

DollaBillz217
11th April 2007, 09:25 PM
Most likely it is the Power supply. Try swapping it out with another one you have lying around. This should fix your problem, but if it doesnt it could be some platform compatibility issue with FC7. The ACPI puts the OS in control of system configuration and power management. Further, it acts as a hardware abstraction layer between the OS and the platform BIOS -- allowing the OS and the platform to evolve independently.
Are you booting this on just a Linux box or windows too? The rule of thumb is that any computer whose ACPI implementation boots and runs Windows properly, should also boot and run Linux properly. This means that if Linux needs any ACPI-related command-line parameters or a modified BIOS DSDT to boot and run properly, then you should file a Linux bug. And with you installing FC7, it could very easily be a bug being that it is still not "error" free due to its current release, which I believe is probably the test version, not the full debugged version. Good luck!

Anadarwheels
11th April 2007, 09:35 PM
The Server doesnt have any shutdown issues with RH8 on it

DollaBillz217
11th April 2007, 09:42 PM
The Server doesnt have any shutdown issues with RH8 on it

I just re-edited the piece above, its probably your OS. You should still try the power supply, just so you know for a fact its not that, process of elimination. Please look at the above comment