PDA

View Full Version : NTFS-3G, HAL, UDEV (or, why people hate Linux)

LinuxTom
11th April 2007, 08:04 PM
First off, I don't hate Linux, Windows (on the other hand), well, ummmm.

I recently replied to a post here regarding a member that wanted to mount an NTFS volume R/W; it initially seemed straightforward, add the appropriate fstab entry, and viola. But this person wants R/W access for everyone with access to the machine, using NTFS-3g, and they are using a USB external drive, along with other USB devices, which may end up hot-plugged in weird orders, causing udev chaos, so fstab isn't the answer.

I never messed with udev, never had the need too, but after 45 minutes or so of combined time, I figured out how to symlink or name devices so that they always apppear in the same place, and posted it. I didn't get a reply for this person, so I assume they figured it out or gave up.

My opinion is if you're gonna use Linux, ditch Microsoft all together, nothing but a headache. I have ext3, reiser, etc... and the permissions stick, NTFS of any sort takes tinkering, and is basically a mess.

I don't know if Windows will recognize a disk, or partition based on its attributes only, so that regardless of the order it's plugged in, it's always accessible to anyone, and who cares...

LinuxTom
12th April 2007, 12:36 PM
And by the way, the point of the thread title (or, why people hate Linux), is that the majority of Linux converts, IMHO, come into Linux expecting easy integration of M.S. apps and such. While the guys that did the work on ntfs, ntfs-3g, have done a great job reverse engineering the ntfs calls, without M.S. support it will always be hard to work out some of the bugs. Same for wine, people are always asking, how to run this or that with wine, while most apps can be made to work, it's not always "in your face simple", and if you have little or no NIX experience, it could be daunting.

So basically, the desire to use M.S. apps, filesystems, etc... Seems to turn a lot of people away from Linux. We need to break the M.S. cycle, and turn more people toward native apps, which in almost all cases provide identical funcionality to Windoze apps.

bob
12th April 2007, 12:47 PM
With the size and price of the hard drives right now, the best option to me would be dual-booting if a Windows environment is a 'must have'. Let's face it, 95 percent of the machines for Joe Average are Windows boxes and we will want or need to work with others in their environment at some time.

Dies
12th April 2007, 02:24 PM
I won't ditch Microsoft, just on principle, I PAID for it and I'm keeping it even if I don't use it, it should be available to me if I ever need it. I just won't be buying any more Microsoft Software.
Besides although I love Linux and feel much more comfortable using it, there are still some common everyday programs that are either non-existant or just plain crappy.

As far as NTFS, I don't know maybe I'm crazy, but I use it for all my larger drives, I only keep multimedia on them though, but ntfs-3g is great, love it.

Dan
12th April 2007, 02:34 PM
Ayup.

Like most addictive drugs, Microsoft can be very difficult to quit. Although, it can be done.

Personally, I recommend cold turkey. After the hallucinations and the DTs let up, most of the hard stuff is behind you.

Dan

<..:eek:..>

LinuxTom
12th April 2007, 08:16 PM
Microsoft can be very difficult to quit, of that you are right! I use Linux 99% of the time myself, have for years, but I do dual-boot to XP-SP2 occasionally to apply security fixes, hahaha.

I finally got tired of fighting with ntfs, and copied anything that needed security, such as financial docs and the like to my ext-3 partition, and converted to OpenOffice formats. For all other Windoze stuff I just repartitioned the XP drive, created a nice vfat partition, and moved the desktop there. Quick easy R/W access from Linux without a lot of hassle.

I think if M.S would quite making changes to the ntfs code long enough, ntfs-3g could be a good option if you just "must" keep an ntfs partition writeable, I'd think that everytime the 3g guys get something working well M.S. intentionally mucks up the new ntfs code. I know when I used it in R/W mode, it was causing mft inconsistencies regularly.

But oh well, Linux of just about any flavor works fine right out of the box with all but totally generic antiquated hardware. Just seems that all the people that really bash Linux are trying to integrate their M.S. world, and it's driving them mad, and then they think it's all that dirty Linux's fault.