PDA

View Full Version : Lost my GUI

100%digital
11th April 2007, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I use KDE and I've lost my desktop GUI, please help.

sentry
11th April 2007, 06:43 PM
More information please.

Does X start for you at all?
Is KDE the only desktop environment you have installed?

100%digital
11th April 2007, 07:13 PM
OMG, thankyou for responding... that isn't actaully my problem :) what I'd like to do is get the KDE GUI for my SSH sessions... basically I can just run the startup script from the KDE directory, and that is my REAL problem... Where do i run KDE's startup script from? its install directory? if so, what is it?

thanks again for you help

100%digital
11th April 2007, 07:14 PM
oh, and yes... No Xwindows, or Gonome.. just KDE

sentry
11th April 2007, 07:17 PM
You can forward X11 over ssh using the -X ssh command flag providing you have X11 forwarding enabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_conf file and your client system has KDE installed.

As for the script to start KDE, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. From a command prompt if you run startx that will start X server where you can then decide on what GDM you want to use.

Does that help??

100%digital
11th April 2007, 08:21 PM
hmmmm, good info. Thankyou.

I'm still a bite of a nub, so you'll have to excuse these next few questions... What exactly is X11? A platform for KDE to run on??? I'm not running the ssh session on another linux box, i'm using putty. Is it still possible for me to run a GUI using putty as the ssh client, or would i have to do a VMware setup?

And I've tried running startx, but it gives some different errors, I've also tried running startkde... no dice. Isn't startkde the script that starts KDE GUI? or KDE is running "on top" of the GDM?

So i guess I'd like to know how to start KDE from the terminal and if its possible to get KDE GUI via a putty session... Thanks again for your knowledgeable insight.

best regards,

J

I'm leaning towards not possible for a KDE via putty... but figured I'd ask anyway. Any type of graphical display is garbage... nmapfe, system-config-network, is their another windows SSH client I could use?

ever-free
11th April 2007, 08:49 PM
Is it right, you want a remote access with KDE via SSH?
Install the freeNX server from the repository or the NX Free Edition for Linux from nomachine. It makes only a small network traffic and uses SSH. The clients for Linux, Windows, Mac OSX or Solaris you can get from http://www.nomachine.com/download.php . As GUI you can select KDE or Gnome. If you have any questions with the keys for SSH ask.

sentry
11th April 2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, so first I would suggest you go and read this; http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/ it helps illuminate the relationship between KDE and X.

Now lets take a step back...

What OS are you accessing your Linux box from?

And last but not least, consider using VNC to access a box if X11 forwarding is not an option.

100%digital
11th April 2007, 11:48 PM
Sentry, many thanks again for your insight.

I'm using winxp pro sp2, to access my fc6 box... the fc6 box also is running selinux in an enforcing mode.

After reading some of the kde faq, I have slightly better idea what going on, but it refers to x11 an awful alot, and I'll to read some documentation on x11 before I ask for you help again.

But I did have a question that isn't really in the context of this thread, but... Using yum to install apps is pretty sweet, but the RPM manager is very similar... is their a site that "hosts" software similar to the YUM archive where I can rpm -Uvh files? thanks again. I'll be ready for some X11 discussion tomorrow. again, many thanks for your help

-J

sentry
12th April 2007, 03:09 PM
Yum is a delivery system for rpm files (what it's classified as is a package manager). When you type yum install php yum goes out, hits a mirror and looks for the php package (rpm). It then looks for dependencies and adds any that are missing from your system. It then downloads all the packages (which are rpm's) and installs them on your system (as far as I know yum actually calls the rpm command).

You can download rpm's from many sources however you must make sure they're compatible with your version of FC because if it isn't, unprdictable things may happen. Also by circumventing yum you will lose the dependency calculations that it performs and have to figure out dependencies manually.

These factors would seem to logically indicate that yum should be your first choice for adding software to your system as it makes it very easy. I would recomend that you always try and install things via yum, it really just makes sense. Of course there's always something that just isn't in the repos so sometimes you have to resort to an rpm or compiling from source but they will ideally be the exception and not the rule.

At any rate back to your original problem, I would highly recomend that you use VNC to contact your linux box from your windows box. Although I haven't really looked through this tutorial (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/VNC.html) it should at least point you in the right direction.