PDA

View Full Version : on trying to install epiphany

contraculto
11th April 2007, 05:13 PM
i'm trying to install epiphany and epiphany-extras as an alternative to ff2 which gat get very resource intensive sometimes, and thought a simple

yum install epiphany epiphany-extensions
would do, but i was wrong.

i'm getting this:

--> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 for package: epiphany
--> Processing Dependency: firefox = 1.5.0.10 for package: epiphany-extensions
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.10 is needed by package epiphany
Error: Missing Dependency: firefox = 1.5.0.10 is needed by package epiphany-extensions

i'm on FC6 and i have the livna repo installed. i did a while ago remove firefox 1.5 and install 2.0. do i REALLY need to install ff1.5 for epiphany to work right? doesn't that defeat the purpose a little?
and what about gecko-libs? where do i get that from?

is there another alternative of a light gnome browser? i'm trying to get epiphany to work because i read you can get adblock for it in the epiphany-extensions.

thanks.

glennzo
11th April 2007, 10:38 PM
At the risk of looking silly here, based on my exploration of yum whatprovides and yum info, I would say that if you want Epiphany, you need to have Firefox installed. One would think that Epiphany could be installed independent of Firefox.

contraculto
12th April 2007, 12:27 AM
well, actually having to install one browser in order to install anotherone sounds quite stupid to me.

Wayne
12th April 2007, 12:46 AM
well, actually having to install one browser in order to install anotherone sounds quite stupid to me.

Yes, you would think so but Epiphany does use some of the Firefox components so remove Firefox 2 if you want Epiphany. If you must have Firefox 2 then download the tarball from Mozilla.org and install it in /opt or install Swiftfox, which is faster than the Fedora build of Firefox 2. At the moment it's my preferred browser.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148903&highlight=swiftfox

Also, Opera 9.2 has just been released.

Edit: If Swiftfox doesn't load then you have enabled SELinux, the fix is here:

http://forums.getswiftfox.com/viewtopic.php?p=467&sid=59a9cd59ced62100e5ef13350d4cee9d

Wayne