PDA

View Full Version : how it works.....

shyamndpatel
11th April 2007, 10:08 AM
if i want to install two os on my system which one should i install first on my computer and does installing two os on one system reduce the speed of my pc................ and is there any way to switch from one os to another.......

markkuk
11th April 2007, 10:19 AM
If Windows is one of the two operating systems, then you should install Windows first. The speed of your PC isn't affected. You switch between systems by rebooting and choosing the system you want to load from the boot menu.

kurzer
11th April 2007, 10:20 AM
search for "dual boot" both in the net and especially on this forum. I guess you will find many sources about this topic.
If you have a dual boot system aou have to reboot to get to another os. Another way to have multiple os on one pc is virtualization, a search on this will also have many hits. Virtualization does redice the speed of your pc, while dual boot has no effect

rpstitz
11th April 2007, 10:24 AM
If you want to have Linux and Window$, you should install Win first. Make sure to leave enough of you hard drive unpartitioned so you will have room for Linux (I reccommend at least 10GB, but 40GB or more is best).
After Win is installed, Install Linux. FC6, as most other distributions, offers several configuration options. Choose to install Linux using unpartitioned space only, that will leave Win intact. As part of Linux setup, a boot loader will be installed (Grub or LiLo, usually) to offer you a choice of which OS to boot everytime you restart your PC.

Installing two or more OSs shouldn't effect the speed of our PC unless your hard drive is too small to give each OS enough space to function properly. As far as switching between OSes, you must reboot your PC and choose the OS you want to run from the bootloader menu.

shyamndpatel
11th April 2007, 10:53 AM
i have two hdd one of 40 and the other 80 gb........ i would like to know as i would like to experiment with the FC6 is it be advisable to install FC6 on the same as windows or should i install it on the other drive........... and if i install both the os on two different drives will it create problem when i switch on my system or it will automatically ask me to select the os on which i want to work on.......??????????

bob
11th April 2007, 11:03 AM
You can install it on either drive. By default, grub (the Fedora bootloader) will install on the master boot record of the primary drive and you'll be able to select either Windows or Fedora as the machine boots up. If at some future time you decide to remove Fedora, you'll have to use your Windows install CD to go into the repair mode and 'fixmbr' to remove grub and replace it with the NTFS (Windows) bootloader.

If you don't like that idea, another method of installation is here: http://jimlawrnc.mine.nu/mywiki/DualBootLinux That method keeps Windows entirely on one drive and Fedora entirely on the other drive. Of course, you have to open the case and remove drive cables as well as do some bios work, so if you're not comfortable with those, I'd just go with the standard method.