PDA

View Full Version : How to rescue Fedora

poppers1957
11th April 2007, 09:03 AM
Okay, I screwed up!!!! I went and installed Xubuntu on a separate HD. It was the slave. I had Fedora 6 on the master. When xubutu installed grub it wrote a new one or something, and now I can't access Fedora. I know I should have Had only the one HD on when I installed it so I could edit the grub.conf file in fedora, but I forgot to do it that way. I wanted the xubutu for the kids, and wanted to dual boot. I now want to know just how to access fedora. I am removing the slave HD and want my fedora back. I will re-install xubutu later on a separate HD and then edit grub.conf file. For now can you help me just get fedora back. PLEEEEASE! :( I tried the Fedora Rescue CD but I am so new at this It only confused me more. Thanks for your time.

Patrick

glennzo
11th April 2007, 09:25 AM
There's a short tutorial here: http://www.johnson.homelinux.net/mywiki/Rescue%20Mode. I bet if you search this web forum you would find a ton of help also.

sideways
11th April 2007, 10:49 AM
Basic steps

1. Insert Fedora Install disc and type 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt

2. Follow the on screen instructions, there's no need to enable networking, and finally you'll be told to type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' at the root prompt, so type that.

3. type 'grub-install /dev/hda' to reinstall grub on the mbr. (If your drive is a sata drive type 'grub-install /dev/sda'

Now remove the dvd and reboot and you should be fine.

Zero-Override
11th April 2007, 10:56 AM
posting to get this in my subscriptions ;)