PDA

View Full Version : help with psp

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 02:32 AM
well i dont know if anyone here is familier with PSP (playstation portable) but i am trying to get my linux box to reconize my psp via USB.. any thoughts or suggestions would be much appriciated thank you.
p.s it's probably something as simple as finding and downloading a driver .. but i can not seem to find a driver for linux to connect to the psp

Wayne
10th April 2007, 02:42 AM
Stick "Linux PSP" into Google

Wayne

Dies
10th April 2007, 02:44 AM
No drivers needed.

In Gnome make sure under System>Preferences>Removable Drives and Media that all your settings make sense.

Not sure what's up with your box, but mine you just plug it in and it picks it right up, puts an icon on your desktop and opens it up. It just sees the PSP as removable storage just like any usb drive.

You can even set a custom Icon for it and it "remembers" and uses the that icon for that device any time you plug it in.

Wayne
10th April 2007, 02:51 AM
I was going to test it with one of my kids' PSPs before posting but found I don't have the right cable :(

Wayne

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 02:52 AM
yea for some reason its still not working ...

Dies
10th April 2007, 03:01 AM
Do you have any USB drives laying around, does it see those?

I didn't need to do anything special on FC, actually on any distro every one I've tried just picks it right up. Somethings got to be misconfigured somewhere, maybe a bad cable?

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 03:03 AM
i know the cable is fine because it works on my other pc running windows 98se .. but to humour you i will dig up another cable and use it .. i'll get back to you in a few with the results

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 03:07 AM
ok well unfortunatly i cannot find another usb cable for my psp but i tried my usb mouse and keyboard and they work just fine

Dies
10th April 2007, 03:26 AM
Just throwing out some ideas but....

You don't need humour me, mine works just fine. ;)

Wayne
10th April 2007, 03:28 AM
When you plug it in and turn it on, open the 'Computer' icon on your Gnome desktop and see if it shows up there.

Wayne

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 03:33 AM
nope it does'nt show up under "computer"

Wayne
10th April 2007, 03:38 AM
nope it does'nt show up under "computer"

Are the first two preferences checked on the first page of "Removable Drives and Media" (Removable Storage) under 'System > Preferences'

Edit: Is the FC5 or FC6 and do digital cameras show up when plugged?

Wayne

New2Linux84
10th April 2007, 03:46 AM
Are the first two preferences checked on the first page of "Removable Drives and Media" (Removable Storage) under 'System > Preferences'

Edit: Is the FC5 or FC6 and do digital cameras show up when plugged?

Wayne

yes the first 2 options are checkd in "preferences" and i'm using fedora core 6 64bit, and i do not have a digital camera or any other usb devices to check if they work .. all that i have tried is a usb mouse and usb keyboard and they work fine

Wayne
10th April 2007, 03:56 AM
TangledWeb (AKA Dan) reminded me of this in another thread that I discovered solved a problem I had back with FC5 and USB:

permissions for the USB device rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules back to 0644 (root)

drill down to:

#####################################
# Persistent block device stuff - end
#####################################

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", \
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", \
NAME="%c", MODE="0666"

and change it from MODE="0644" as you see above.

Wayne

larryt
28th August 2007, 03:20 PM
When you plug it in and turn it on, open the 'Computer' icon on your Gnome desktop and see if it shows up there.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

This worked 'out of the box' for me. I just plugged the PSP into a USB cable into one of the USB ports on the back of my fedora 7 computer. YOU MUST PUT THE PSP INTO USB MODE. If it's in any other mode, then no disk will appear under the Fedora "My Computer". If you move the PSP to another option (like music) then the PSP Disk will disappear from the Fedora "My Computer".

Hope that helps,

Larry