PDA

View Full Version : I know this sounds stupid but....

^Tantra(
9th April 2007, 06:22 PM
Is their a tool that automaticlly cleans junk files from fedora, for example defrag, ccleaner, like windows. Is their a registry; if this isn't the case than can i just leave old unused files w/o consequence(old drivers or unused programs).

danwaineo
9th April 2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Tantra,

Well windows defrag doesn't clean files from you computer. It just reorganizes them in a more logical way.

The way to remove "junk" files from Fedora is to use yum or "Add/Remove software" and uninstall rpm packages that you aren't using.

Dies
9th April 2007, 07:19 PM
Is their a tool that automaticlly cleans junk files from fedora, for example defrag, ccleaner, like windows. Is their a registry; if this isn't the case than can i just leave old unused files w/o consequence(old drivers or unused programs).

There is no "registry" yet, thank god.

If you only install software from rpm's then when you uninstall those they clean up after themselves so you don't have to worry about that.

The one place where things do tend to pile up is in your /home where the programs store their settings, those usually get left behind. If you like to "try out" a lot of stuff then you may want to check your home folder and delete any folders from programs you know for sure are gone. To see those folders in Gnome just open your home folder with Nautilus then hit ctrl+h or View>Show Hidden Files.

There's temp files and stuff but those *should* get taken care of for you.

But that's about it, no defrag, no registry, no anti-virus, very low maintenance. ;)

Jongi
9th April 2007, 07:28 PM
If you install from source, it also opens the possibilty of some rogue files lying about. But I don't believe that that would be a problem of any significance.

^Tantra(
9th April 2007, 10:40 PM
Cool thanx for the info, and ya i agree thank god for no registry!

contraculto
10th April 2007, 04:08 AM
just checked out my home dir, and damn, lots of little games had left their stuff behind. but, really, just a couple kbs. nothing important really.