PDA

View Full Version : Need to update and keep an old kernel

maladeus
9th April 2007, 11:12 AM
This one probably has already been asked but the search returns little useful info, so please be patient with me.

I have an old computer PIII 750Mhz (ok, very old computer), running fc6. Some months ago my sister updated to the 2.something.20-xxxx kernel which caused the system to hang on boot (i don't know exactly where because I currently living on campus far away from home). She is now Booting the 2.something.19 kernel.
Is there a simple way to do an update, install a new 2.something.20-xxxx+1 kernel and keep the 2.something.19 one? (Preferably command line as it is simpler to explain via IM).

Or do you advise an yum update -y --exclude=kernel instead?

Hlingler
9th April 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes: as root user, open the file /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf with your favorite text editor and change the line:
tokeep = n
so that n is the number of old kernels that you want to keep. For example, 2 is the default; I use 3 because of the same problem you mentioned; I don't know if there's a max limit to the number of kernels you can keep, but if you set it to, say, 5, that should be plenty for quite a while (and remember that the kernels are rather large files). Also, make sure the next line is:
enabled = 1
There are other ways to protect/save kernels from being overwritten, but that's the simplest.
P.S. Because your system may have several installed kernels, there really is no such thing as "updating" a kernel. Also, you may want to change the default boot kernel/system in GRUB (or simply watch as the PC boots and make sure the kernel you want gets booted).

maladeus
9th April 2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks a lot Hlingler ;)