PDA

View Full Version : vertical lines thru screen in all but 800x600

dak
9th April 2007, 05:58 AM
The only resolution which my 1680x1050 LCD can display clear and sharp is 800x600..with which of course pages dont fit the screen well. 1024x768 shows small movments all over the screen but is usable.. kinda like a million little underscores moving around the screen at random for milliseconds at a time..
any other resolution shows 5mm wide vertical bands of some sort of echo 10mm apart across the entire screen.. so prominent and with a lot of movement so it makes the screen virtually unusable.
attempting to try different drivers for the onboard 950 graphics causes x-server not to start.

danwaineo
9th April 2007, 06:13 AM
Hi Dak,

You might want to try FC7 test, and use the intel driver (selected through "display"). It has better support for widescreen monitors the the intel Q965 and G965 chipsets. Until then you might be stuck with 800x600.

Hope this helps. I'm in the same boat with my DG965 motherboard and 1280x720 lcdtv.

dak
9th April 2007, 06:46 AM
i dont understand fc7 test lol i am a newbie.. tell me how.. i am using the driver fedora is choosing for me in display.. seems to be a generic sis driver.. but the ones listed as supported byit are not the ones i should be using.. one other driver in the display list seems right to me but xwindows wont start with it.
i have downloaded the linux driver for my chipset to desktop but cant work out how to install it lol. i told you i am a newbie !!!
i have also downloaded jre for linux but all instructions i get online telling me how come up with error messages when i try to follow them.. if i get these two issues resolved.. i really need both fixed to work with this os.. then i am happy to persevere with linux and learn !! a third issue is that i dont see my windows files.. a previous experiment with ubuntu allowed me to access these files how do i configure fedora to allow me to do this?

thx :)

danwaineo
9th April 2007, 06:55 AM
I believe the driver you are probably using is called "i810" since you have 950 onboard intel graphics. You can also try the "intel" graphics driver which should support your widescreen modes.

FC7 test 3 is the test CD of the upcoming Fedora Core 7. You can download the live CD (using bittorrent) from http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

However, I would think that FC6 though would support your monitor with your chipset. You have to go to Administrator --> Display to select the graphic driver. I would try that before downloading FC7.

dak
9th April 2007, 07:05 AM
i dont see i1810 .. i am sure this can be done though? i dont really have to go to a test version which will probably create more issues than fix though do i?

danwaineo
9th April 2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Dak,
So you have a Sis graphics chip in your motherboard? I was assuming you had an intel chip because of the "onboard 950 graphics" in your sig?

There should be both an i810 (not i1810) and and intel driver in that display if you scroll up. If you have an intel graphics chip try both of those. If neither work then try FC7T3.

If you have a sis graphics chip I can't help you much, since I've never seen one of those.

dak
9th April 2007, 07:50 AM
oops my bad sorry thats the other pc !!
VIA P4M800Pro Via Unichrome graphics :)