PDA

View Full Version : newbie to linux

ownxdbyps3
8th April 2007, 10:00 PM
hello everyone,

i have installed yellowdog linux 5.0 on my ps3 and loved it so much i want to install fedora on my main pc. now my question is this. i was trying to download fedora. but not sure which version is best. 5, 6? and if i should get the i386 iso or the x86? any help from you guys would be appreciated. by the way i would be dual booting with xp as well. i have a compaq presario amd athlon 64 processor 3500+. thanks again guys.

sideways
8th April 2007, 10:08 PM
I recommend the i386 version, you'll see little or no performance increase with x86_64 (if that's what you meant) and you'd have problems with 3rd party software, flash, java etc etc

And FC6 is recommended, FC7 comes out soon and FC5 repositories will no longer be maintained

ownxdbyps3
8th April 2007, 10:11 PM
I recommend the i386 version, you'll see little or no performance increase with x86_64 (if that's what you meant) and you'd have problems with 3rd party software, flash, java etc etc

And FC6 is recommended, FC7 comes out soon and FC5 repositories will no longer be maintained

thank you very much, i'll get started on that download right now. by the way, someone told me that fedora isnt really the best distro to learn on. that i would have an easier time on ubuntu? any recommendations?

sideways
8th April 2007, 10:22 PM
Fedora's fine, but it issues tons of updates all the time and versions get out of date after a year or so. Ubuntu's the fave of many at the moment, and might be a better choice for learning. Maybe try a live cd version of fedora which doesn't require a physical install, and see what you think.

ownxdbyps3
8th April 2007, 10:38 PM
great advice..thank you very much.