PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling windows, wondering how grub/boot will be affected

Cigaboo
7th April 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi. Recently my WindowsXP "stack of cards" came tumbling down (driver conflicts, registry, who knows...). I did what I could to try and recessitate it but its time for me to reinstall it. I have two hard drives. Windows XP is on the first drive. Fedora 6 is on the second drive, third partition. Grub is my boot manager. I intend to disconnect my second drive while I do a complete reformat + reinstall of Windows XP on the first drive. I assume that I will need to reinstall and reconfigure grub after doing this, as it will wipe out the boot file. But I won't have to reinstall Fedora 6 again because all of its files are on my second (unaffected) hard drive, right? I'll just have to readd and reconfigure Grub?

sideways
7th April 2007, 08:59 PM
Yup. After installing windows reattach the drive and boot up the Fedora install disc, type 'linux rescue', follow the onscreen instructions, and when you are in a root environment type 'grub-install /dev/hda' or 'grub-install /dev/sda' depending on whether your windows drive is ide or sata.

Cigaboo
8th April 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks. Sounds easy enough.