PDA

View Full Version : Gnome panel problem -- can't minimize

clinart
6th April 2007, 04:17 PM
Just encountered a problem I have never seen, and I don't have any specific error message to explain it.

I have two panels on my desktop, one that serves as a launcher, the other that shows me what's running -- or used to. So if I minimize an application, it shows up in the left panel... or it used to. Now when I minimize an application, it simply vanishes from view but keeps running. I can't maximize it (with the mouse) because it's not in the panel anymore.

Very strange. This setup has been working for me for years. It's not a big deal because I can always alt-tab the app back into view, but it's annoying and I can't figure out why it happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jim
6th April 2007, 05:45 PM
create a new user login and see if you can replicate the problem

Firewing1
6th April 2007, 05:58 PM
Right click on the panel > Add to panel > Window switcher
It might not be exactly that, but something along the lines of "Window switcher" should get you back the window list.
Firewing1

wjstarck
15th June 2007, 02:51 PM
I have this same problem since upgrading to fc7 from fc6.

The clock will not show in the panel at the top of the screen, and when I minimize windows they are not visible in the bottom panel but the apps are, of course, still running. This is while logged in as root.

If I log in as root over a vnc session, everything works properly.

???

penaquya
16th June 2007, 09:15 PM
Same problem here.
I did an upgrade from fc5 to f7 without problems. After that I updated the system and that's when this problem started.
Unable to switch between applications, desktop switcher and other panel apps disappeared, apps on top of the top panel, etc.
If I login as root everything works fine. So I assume it has something to do with my profile.

Firewing1
16th June 2007, 09:22 PM
rm -rf .gnome2/panel2.d ./.gconf/apps/gnome-settings/gnome-panel ./.gconf/apps/panel
Should erase all panel settings.
Firewing1

penaquya
16th June 2007, 09:32 PM
Still the same problem. The panels are set to default, yet no desktop switcher. The toolbar of my apps seems to morph in to the upper panel.

penaquya
20th June 2007, 09:19 PM
Check out "crashing gnome". Just posted the solution there, Thanks to all who posted a suggestion.

u111979
24th October 2007, 08:31 PM
I have the same problem on several machines, but only when a vncserver is running in the background for that user. The panel is fully functional in a VNC -session.
To get it on the native desktop, it is necessary to su - and run gnome-panel as root.

Can anybody confirm this problem and knows whether it is an issue of gnome or vnc

Thanks
Thomas

gstool
28th October 2007, 03:10 PM
u111979, your comment about vncserver rang a bell with me. I had lost my clock applet and a lower panel workspace switcher. I turned off vncserver in Services, and everything is restored to normal after restarting X.

I had been playing with vnc to connect bach and forth with another Fedora system in my house. After much playing, I discovered that vncserver is not necessary in F7. The System > preferences > Internet and Network > Remote Desktop applet works great without starting a vncserver.

bill_f
28th October 2007, 03:54 PM
try removing the directory /tmp/gconfd-<user> as root, where <user> is the account name where the panels are blank

Worked for me and I've no idea why

u111979
28th October 2007, 09:57 PM
Remote Desktop applet works great without starting a vncserver.

Thanks for your answer gstool, but the remote desktop works only, if a user is logged on the destination machine and if this user allows the remote connection. I thought I could support my co-administrators from the windows section a little bit in using a really grown up operation system in the manner they are used to: by search and click. :)
Now they must at least learn to start the vncserver by a ssh connection :D

Regards
Thomas