PDA

View Full Version : Lock screen as root

linuxuser9214
4th April 2007, 06:10 PM
If you aren't gonna tell me, don't answer at all.

I want to know how to lock my screen as root. I know the security risks, and I am not asking for a lesson about the security of linux, etc. All I am asking is how to lock my scren as root.

I could just run KDE and lock the session, but I prefer gnome, and I hope someone tells me.

I don't want people complaining about the risks of it, and stuff like that.. Just tell me.

Oh yeah.. and NO - "Don't Run as Root!"

I need to, but that doesn't matter! I'M NOT ASKING WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD USE ROOT!!! I"M ASKING HOW TO LOCK MY SCREEN, WHEN I DO!

Someone please help me!

All in all, i like fedora, but if people wont even help me lock my screen, it might be time for another distro.

JoeyJoJoe
4th April 2007, 06:35 PM
tut... you shouldn't run as root ; )

anyway, besides that if you go in gnome to system > Lock screen I would have thought that would do it...

linuxuser9214
4th April 2007, 06:39 PM
nope.

It just goes to a black screen, and when I move the mouse, it doesnt ask for a password..

its a root thing. it wont let you lock it as root, and there has to be SOME way to get around it!

JoeyJoJoe
4th April 2007, 06:42 PM
maybe you could try xlock, I had read about potential issues with locking as root, they recomended using

xlock(1)

I think if you installed xlockmore you might get some more functionality - for some reason I didn't seem to have xlock on my computer, although xlockmore is in the yum repos

JoeyJoJoe
4th April 2007, 06:44 PM
I even found a man page for you

http://www.tux.org/~bagleyd/xlock.html

linuxuser9214
4th April 2007, 07:27 PM
awesome thanks! IT WORKED!

now, do you know how to just make it be a black screen, and not have a screen saver?

JoeyJoJoe
4th April 2007, 07:32 PM
I think you would need to use

-mode blank

after the command. I think that should work, failing that if you have a poke about in the man page you might be able to get more out of it/make it do more etc.