PDA

View Full Version : G965 Motherboards

danwaineo
4th April 2007, 03:48 AM
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new G965 motherboard. Specifically I purchased a intel DG965OT. These boards have a lot of interesting features, the primary one being open source intel graphic drivers. I thought I would share my experiences in the hope it will be useful to others. Of course I'd also like some help on mostly the audio.

1. Installing fedora core 6....

I've read other posts in this forum and else where about how to install Fedora Core 6 on this motherboard. I had to do the following to get it installed. On the first screen during installation I typed the following:

linux text all-generic-die pci=nommconf irqpoll

I also had trouble with my wireless keyboard during installation - but not afterwards.

I'm not sure if all of those commands are necessary (or even what they do). After upgrading my kernel, I found I still need to have all-generic-ide in order to recognize my IDE DVD drive. Note that FC7T3 doesn't seem to need any additional options.

2. G965 graphics

The graphics driver (i810) seems to work if you have a normal (not widescreen) monitor with normal resolutions. The FC6 alterate intel driver did not work for me. My current display is 1280x1024 and doesn't look right on my lcdtv with a native resolution of 1280x720.

I tried FC7T3 live CD and the intel (modesetting branch) driver did work for me. I have 1280x720 both with my VGA port and my ADD2 DVI card. Unfortunately the display is distorted using the DVI port. There 1/2" on the left side of the screen that is distorted and seems to wrap around from the right. There is also some sort of overscan issue. The VGA port is perfect. I don't really want to wait until May for FC7 to come out though.

3. Sound

I'm trying to use pass through digital optical to my receiver, and I haven't gotten it to work yet. Instead I've tried a normal analog out and still haven't had luck. I've never heard any sound out of this computer. This is my big frustration right now. I've tried alsamixer, sound card detection, and numerous other settings. Has anyone out there gotten Intel G965 audio to work? Can you give me a hint? :confused:

4. Ethernet, usb, etc.

Everything else seems to work out of the box.

danwaineo
5th April 2007, 05:59 AM
Sound Updates:

I thought I would try to compile an ALSA driver myself. It was from the ALSA site and was 1.0.14rc3. Initially I had a problem with a broken symlink pointing to the kernel headers. It was pointing to an i586 kernel instead of a i686 kernel in /lib/modules. I made a new symlink, and the compile proceeded. I downloaded the driver from the ALSA site, but couldn't get it to compile. I checked the bugzilla and saw I had this error:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2957

bummer. I'm waiting now.

VIDEO updates:

While I was waiting for a bugzilla response I thought I would try to build my own intel modesetting driver using this guide:

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html

When running the following command to compile the intel video driver I got a configure error:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

my error:
./configure: line 19646: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'
./configure: line 19646: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(XINERAMA, xineramaproto)'

I intalled all of the xorg development packages and any files related to xinerama or xineramaproto. I think I have everything I need, but it's not working. In googling around I saw some mention of a xineramaproto.pc file missing. However I have this file:

$ rpm -q --filesbypkg xorg-x11-proto-devel
xorg-x11-proto-devel /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xineramaproto.pc

The video works great for me in FC7T3 (but no DVI), however I don't want to wait until May.

I'll post here again if I find a solution. Let me know if you have any ideas.

danwaineo
6th April 2007, 06:27 PM
I installed xserver, xf86-video-intel, xf86-input-mouse, xf86-input-kbd, mesa, drm, etc. from the xorg.freedesktop.org server using git. It was a pretty complicated process.

Now I have a FC7T3 equivalent video system in FC6.

Most of the games work like ppracer, etc. I'm getting some errors trying to run Bzflag, and the chess game. All the others seem to work ok.

I don't recommend udating your xserver and intel-driver if you need your computer for real work. I still have some bugs to work out. Also the newest version of the driver still didn't fix my DVI problem noted above.

If you are determined to get it to work here is my ./configure for xserver in the hope that it will help someone:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-fontdir=/usr/share/X11/fonts --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --with-mesa-source=/home/dan/xorg/mesa

Not that the directory for mesa will change depending on where you downloaded the source. I still have some errors in Xorg.0.log and the xserver doesn't start on boot even though I'm in run level 5. See the bugzilla above. It probably would have worked better if I checked out the xserver rpm spec file.

Still no sound though. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to compile a newer version of ALSA.

danwaineo
9th April 2007, 05:32 AM
Well I've compiled the new 14rc3 alsa drivers, but still don't have any sound. Anybody got sound to work for the DG965OT board? I'm kind of screwed now because I have a low profile case. The sound card options are very limited.

danwaineo
19th April 2007, 07:40 PM
Video:
The DVI port works great now. Turns out the problem was a overscan setting on my LCD tv.

Sound:
I've bought and installed a new low profile Audigy SE sound card. It works great. I don't have any issues with it. I'd like to try digital out, but I need to buy an extra dongle from Creative. I don't really want to spend any more money, and analog out it working fine.

Eventually I hope to use onboard audio with ALSA. I think the sound card is affecting the air flow in the case, and the south bridge is getting pretty hot.

Things I'd still like to get working:
lm_sensor
suspend

I'm using a wireless usb keyboard, and I suspect that is my problem with suspend. But I dont really want to connect a PS2 keyboard and/or mouse to this system. Anyone know another way? Anyone gotten lm_sensors to work in FC7 or 8? I think I need a coretemp kernel module installed. I could try to roll my own, but I'd rather go the rpm method.

Mythtv:
I'm running mythtv (FC7 from atrpms) in HD on this computer, and it's working great. I had trouble with yum and atrpms for some reason, and had to download and install the rpms manually.

Simon Bridge
21st April 2007, 12:27 AM
Before I start - let me say that this is a well written set of posts and you have been making a truly heroic effort all on your lonesome. There are some things missing which have probably been preventing more experienced folk offering assistance...

It would be nice to get a link to your boards spec someplace. You are not having trouble with the 965 chipset, but with other on-board devices. There is no possibility of a solution without knowing what these actually are. (Output of lspci for the hardware would be good too.)

Probably the board is this one (http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2823990&sku=I69-2144) (please confirm).

Video:
The DVI port works great now. Turns out the problem was a overscan setting on my LCD tv.... neet. Looking through the posts, I couldn't figure out why this should be a problem. Now we know. (What kind of lcd tv, how were you using it, and what did you set?)
Sound:
I've bought and installed a new low profile Audigy SE sound card. It works great. I don't have any issues with it. I'd like to try digital out, but I need to buy an extra dongle from Creative. I don't really want to spend any more money, and analog out it working fine.

Eventually I hope to use onboard audio with ALSA. I think the sound card is affecting the air flow in the case, and the south bridge is getting pretty hot.You have yet to state what the onboard soudcard actually is. (lspci allows us to tell how it is represented to linux) however, it is likely that it is an intel high definition card. The driver is snd-hda-intel (or something like that).
Things I'd still like to get working:
lm_sensor
suspend

I'm using a wireless usb keyboard, and I suspect that is my problem with suspend. But I dont really want to connect a PS2 keyboard and/or mouse to this system.First things first, confirm this by using a ps2 or usb keyboard anyway. This will eliminate that concern.
Anyone know another way? Anyone gotten lm_sensors to work in FC7 or 8? I think I need a coretemp kernel module installed. I could try to roll my own, but I'd rather go the rpm method.You have, of course, seen this: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=lm_sensors

danwaineo
21st April 2007, 11:53 PM
Before I start - let me say that this is a well written set of posts and you have been making a truly heroic effort all on your lonesome. There are some things missing which have probably been preventing more experienced folk offering assistance...

Thanks for your response and nice comments. The board is fairly new, and let me say that I didn't expect everything to work or to get to many responses to my emails. My purpose was as much to just share information with my fellow fedora users.

It would be nice to get a link to your boards spec someplace. You are not having trouble with the 965 chipset, but with other on-board devices. There is no possibility of a solution without knowing what these actually are. (Output of lspci for the hardware would be good too.)

Probably the board is this [QUOTE=Simon Bridge]one (http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2823990&sku=I69-2144) (please confirm).

Yes, that is correct.

... neet. Looking through the posts, I couldn't figure out why this should be a problem. Now we know. (What kind of lcd tv, how were you using it, and what did you set?)

I believe it is a viewsonic n2750w. There is a DVI setting: 16:9 / 4:3 / 1:1. I had to set it to 1:1 in order to not have an overscan issue. The default is 16:9.

You have yet to state what the onboard soudcard actually is. (lspci allows us to tell how it is represented to linux) however, it is likely that it is an intel high definition card. The driver is snd-hda-intel (or something like that).

It's an intel HDA 82801H

I've filed a Fedora bugzilla report, and they told me that ALSA hasn't supported my hardware yet. I made a ALSA bug report here:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3004

First things first, confirm this by using a ps2 or usb keyboard anyway. This will eliminate that concern.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm away from my computer right now, but I'll test soon.

You have, of course, seen this: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=lm_sensors

I'm actually running Fedora 7 test, so there is not a lm_sensor package yet for this distribution (besides the default one). I'll probably just wait until FC7 is final.

Thanks for your comments. I'll update here again when I find out more.

danwaineo
4th May 2007, 06:41 PM
I tried to restore from suspend again with a ps2 keyboard. The computer power and HD lights come on but that's all. I have a blank screen and an unresponsive system. I tried to connect remotely, but that didn't work either. I think it used to work with FC6.

It looks like the coretemp module will be included with the 2.6.22 kernel.

Darkon
1st July 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm about to purchase the same motherboard (DG965OT) for my new setup. Since F7 is now released and is already somewhat settled in, how's the support now? Any major problems? Mainly I'm worried about the builtin X3000 display adapter and it's capabilities. I have a widescreen monitor and I really need it to work because I'm going to be stuck with it for a while.

danwaineo
1st July 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm about to purchase the same motherboard (DG965OT) for my new setup. Since F7 is now released and is already somewhat settled in, how's the support now? Any major problems? Mainly I'm worried about the builtin X3000 display adapter and it's capabilities. I have a widescreen monitor and I really need it to work because I'm going to be stuck with it for a while.

Hi Darkon,

The video works fine and Fedora 7 installs without a hitch. My one complaint with the video is the sync to vertical retrace is not supported yet in the intel driver. This means that I get tearing during video playback. It's not too bad, but not perfect either. Compiz works out of the box since the drivers are open source. Widescreen resolutions are also supported using the "intel" driver. I'm writing this from my LCD TV right now.

Other issues:
1. Suspend/hibernate doesn't seem to work very well. Not that big of an issue since it's a desktop board.
2. I'm not sure if the onboard sound is supported or not. I went ahead and bought a sound card, and I'm to lazy to pull it out to test onboard sound with Fedora 7.

I like the board and recommend it. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan

Darkon
1st July 2007, 09:09 PM
Ooh nice. The lack of sync to vertical retrace is somewhat disappointing, but I guess the drivers get better along the way. Otherwise it sounds all good.

Also, could you post the contents of your "/etc/modprobe.conf". I'd like to know what drivers to include in my initrd, as booting the system might be somewhat difficult without the correct SATA-drivers loaded ;) (Yes, I'm going to use my current F7 installation on the new setup)

My current modprobe.conf has these lines:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
alias scsi_hostadapter1 pata_via

danwaineo
1st July 2007, 11:04 PM
This is my modprobe.conf. Nothing about SATA in it.
alias eth0 e1000
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
remove snd-ca0106 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ca0106
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

Darkon
2nd July 2007, 06:28 AM
Hmm... weird. Anyways, thanks for your help Dan. :)

danwaineo
2nd July 2007, 04:08 PM
Hmm... weird. Anyways, thanks for your help Dan. :)

No problem. If you get this board, let's compare notes. I haven't found anyone else on this forum with it.

critofur
10th July 2007, 01:00 PM
I have a 965 (DS3 rev 3.3) MB and recently my snd-hda-intel stopped working after a cold boot. Never saw this problem when I was on Fedora 6 - recently upgraded to F7. A warm boot fixed it, but then this morning the same happened and a reset didn't fix it this time. I unplugged the cables, then a reset did fix it. I'll have to test it some more and see if having the cable plugged in consistently causes it to fail...

[user@localhost etc]$ cat modprobe.conf
alias eth0 sky2
alias scsi_hostadapter pata_jmicron
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter2 ahci
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
[user@localhost etc]$

Darkon
16th July 2007, 04:17 PM
So, I got the motherboard and I'm currently typing this from my setup. I had to step to BIOS and change my "SATA mode" to IDE from the default RAID mode so that my already installed F7 would boot. Other than that, everything works just like you described.

Oh, I did add "alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix" to modprobe.conf and made a new initrd-image before changing to new hardware. I'm not sure if that's needed but it works.

danwaineo
17th July 2007, 07:07 PM
So, I got the motherboard and I'm currently typing this from my setup. I had to step to BIOS and change my "SATA mode" to IDE from the default RAID mode so that my already installed F7 would boot. Other than that, everything works just like you described.

Oh, I did add "alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix" to modprobe.conf and made a new initrd-image before changing to new hardware. I'm not sure if that's needed but it works.

Hi Darkon,

Thanks for reporting back. Did the onboard sound work for you? If it did I'll probably tear apart my rig again and try to get the digital out working.

Thanks,
Dan

Darkon
18th July 2007, 04:53 PM
Yes, the onboard soundcard works perfectly. I don't have the hardware to test the digital out but I can see it light up when I enable IEC958 from the mixer.

danwaineo
18th July 2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, the onboard soundcard works perfectly. I don't have the hardware to test the digital out but I can see it light up when I enable IEC958 from the mixer.

Thanks Darkon,

Neither digital or analog worked for me last time. I guess I'll have to try it again, since it's working for you.

Darkon
17th August 2007, 04:17 PM
I did some research & testing again.

Digital output works fine. I borrowed my friend's speaker system and it cooperated nicely with Intel HDA. The console even recognized Dolby Digital signal, and handled it correctly. Couldn't be better.

Also, with current development kernels (2.6.23-0.104.rc3.fc8) suspend works too. Selinux throws some complaints but it works.