PDA

View Full Version : Installing new video card

glenngds2006
3rd April 2007, 04:06 AM
I am about to install a NVidia GEForce 6200 PCI-Express video card and an extra gig of ram. Question, will I need to reinstall Fedora Core 6 or not????????????????????????????????????????

glenngds2006
8th April 2007, 08:58 PM
I am not taking any chances--since nobody seems to know--I will reinstall FC6. I would rather be safe than sorry.

JonC
8th April 2007, 09:14 PM
I swapped out a motherboard and graphics card for totally new ones with no trouble and no need to reinstall.

But I wouldn't know how the nvidia drivers would take it. I was using the open source radeon drivers.

marko
8th April 2007, 10:38 PM
There's no big risk in doing that (putting in a new card).
But to make it easy you can change fedora to boot to
level 3 (no Xwindows) instead of the usual level 5 (GUI stuff)
by passing grub a option "3" when it gets to the grub menu.
(you go in the grub edit mode and put a 3 in the option list
passed to the kernel and boot with that)
That way when you boot with the new card it goes right
to basic console that pretty much any card will support.

Then you can move your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
aside :

su -
put in root password
cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.sav
Xorg -configure

I think the new xorg.conf file will go to /root
so copy it to /etc/X11.

cp /root/xorg.conf /etc/X11

you can then look it over to see if it looks reasonable,
(suppose the card is nvidia, then the driver being "radeon" would
be suspicious).
You can now test is right off by exiting root "su" mode
to become your normal user and type startx

#> exit
$> startx

if that starts up X ok you're done

Mark

glenngds2006
9th April 2007, 12:48 AM
printed out marko instructions for configuring X and it seems straight forward enough. Thanx for the info.

Now the hard part: installing the Ram and video card and configuring my BIOS. The hardest part about setting my BIOS will be hitting F1 or F2 key telling it to use the new configuration. I know to shut down the computer and unplug the computer before installing the Ram and video card. I did take a class on repairing and upgrading computers 2 years ago. I built the computer I have now.

computers have come a long way in two years and so has Linux.

Wayne
9th April 2007, 01:02 AM
Well, RAM only goes in one way so you can't mess it up. One thing I found though, is what slot you add the new RAM to. My old mobo has 4 slots and will take a max of 512Mb RAM. I have 2 sticks of 128Mb memory and 1 stick of 256Mb. Slots 1 and 2 have 128Mb and slot 3 has the 256Mb. Swapping them around doesn't work! Your mobo manual probably has a page on it or you can grab a PDF from the maker's homepage.

Oh and be sure to discharge any static in the bod before touching the internals of your PC!

Wayne

glenngds2006
9th April 2007, 05:53 AM
I know to discharge static by touching the metal part of the case. As far as installing the memory backwards only an idiot would do that. Speaking of idiots there was one in my class that installed a PC133 ram module backwards and as a result he destroyed the motherboard--the ram module could not have snaped in all the way but was making contact with some of the connectors in the ram slot.

Wayne
9th April 2007, 06:27 AM
I know to discharge static by touching the metal part of the case. As far as installing the memory backwards only an idiot would do that. Speaking of idiots there was one in my class that installed a PC133 ram module backwards and as a result he destroyed the motherboard--the ram module could not have snaped in all the way but was making contact with some of the connectors in the ram slot.

I rest my case :D

Happy upgrading! I think it's half the fun of having a PC at home :) My present case I put together about 7 years ago with one stick of 128Mb memory, a Celeron 400, a different mobo and a Matrox G400. I think it started out with an 8Gb hard disk and it originally had a SoundBlaster Pro? audio card. The present innards started going in about 5 years ago and it's slowly reached the stage it's at now. The last hard disk I put in recently. The BIOS doesn't actually recognise the full size of the disk but the kernel sees and uses it just fine!

Wayne

glenngds2006
12th April 2007, 02:19 AM
Small disaster struck. That new NVidia video card came DOA--system would not post with it in. Took it out and the system came back to life, but with an extra gig of ram. Oh well one out of two isn't bad.!!!!!!

rerushg
12th April 2007, 04:23 AM
Don't know what your card layout is but I had similar DOA with a 7300LE in my son's machine. Turned out that one of the "push-in posts" that retain the fan had come loose during installation. Fan case had rotated slightly and shorted several connectors at the PCI-E slot. Fixed it and everything worked fine. Maybe not your problem but worth a look.

Wayne
12th April 2007, 04:25 AM
Some motherboards are picky too. I've tried three brands of video card in this machine, 2 of them give me a 'No Signal' when plugged in, the only ones that have worked have been a couple of ATI cards! I know the other two cards work because they came out of a working computer.

Wayne

Vansolrick
12th April 2007, 08:03 AM
Please don't refer to anyone as idiots. So what if someone installed a RAM stick backwards. You're asking if you need to reinstall an OS for changing the video card.

And sorry the card was DOA. That is really a hassle in my opinion. Got some ram DOA. And it's true that motherboards can be picky. Sometimes ROM flashing can fix it. Sometimes it doesn't fix a darn thing. Make sure you check your mobo documentation just in case.

Wayne
12th April 2007, 08:14 AM
Please don't refer to anyone as idiots. So what if someone installed a RAM stick backwards. You're asking if you need to reinstall an OS for changing the video card.

And sorry the card was DOA. That is really a hassle in my opinion. Got some ram DOA. And it's true that motherboards can be picky. Sometimes ROM flashing can fix it. Sometimes it doesn't fix a darn thing. Make sure you check your mobo documentation just in case.

Why are you replying to me and not the OP? I'm not asking if I need to reinstall the OS to change a graphics card. In fact, I've had 3 cards in this machine, the onboard Intel, an 8Mb ATI and now a 32MB ATI. The only time I reinstalled is when I upgrade from FC5 to FC6.

Edit: I also agree with the OP that anyone who tries to put a RAM stick in the wrong way is an idiot. They have notches cut into them to prevent that. Anyone who doesn't use their eyes and forces something in the wrong way shouldn't be let near a PC!

Wayne

Vansolrick
12th April 2007, 08:50 AM
Why are you replying to me and not the OP? I'm not asking if I need to reinstall the OS to change a graphics card. In fact, I've had 3 cards in this machine, the onboard Intel, an 8Mb ATI and now a 32MB ATI. The only time I reinstalled is when I upgrade from FC5 to FC6.

Edit: I also agree with the OP that anyone who tries to put a RAM stick in the wrong way is an idiot. They have notches cut into them to prevent that. Anyone who doesn't use their eyes and forces something in the wrong way shouldn't be let near a PC!

Wayne
I didnt reply to you. Infact I didn't even correctly set up my reply to show who I was replying to. Sorry if you were given the impression I replied to you. I was replying to the original poster. Really am sorry for the misunderstanding.

And I wouldnt consider him an idiot. He might just be new. EVERYONE makes their mistakes. Even people with a lot of experience have their brainfarts. Now what he did was a very stupid mistake, but that does not make a person stupid :P

glenngds2006
12th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Keep down the flames, please!! Anyway I am sending the bad video card back for an exchange. With my luck it will be 10 to 14 calendar days wait on getting a replacement. I know with windows that you may get the blue screen of death if you swap out hardware (say video or audio) without booting to safe mode and sometimes even then that dreaded blue screen will appear.

Vansolrick
12th April 2007, 08:05 PM
Keep down the flames, please!! Anyway I am sending the bad video card back for an exchange. With my luck it will be 10 to 14 calendar days wait on getting a replacement. I know with windows that you may get the blue screen of death if you swap out hardware (say video or audio) without booting to safe mode and sometimes even then that dreaded blue screen will appear.

Yeah I understand. With linux you may get a result that will make you panic more (the GUI/X won't load and will take you to a shell saying "failed to load X"). Its just a matter of editing the xorg.conf file or doing a xorg reconfigure. :)

EDIT: Usually to prevent that in windows you need to uninstall the original driver for the original video card before you remove it and replace it with the newer one.