PDA

View Full Version : Newb here!!

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 01:09 AM
When I download, let's say a webcam driver. It is now in a folder on my desktop. Now what. I am using a logitech webcam. I have downloaded the driver to the desktop and cannot figure what is next. If there is anyone willing to take a newbie under their wing and guide them along, I will be your newbie. One day I hope to be adding answers to these posts. I will continue to attack this issue.

Paul

Wayne
29th March 2007, 01:29 AM
You'll probably need this driver for a Logitech:

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/gspca/

There are two files to install, the driver and the kernel module. The driver in this case is:

gspcav1-1.00.12-3.fc6.at.i386.rpm

If I had an AMD64 install, I'd look for the driver on that page with 'x64' in it and I'd look for a driver with 'ppc' in its name if I were running on an old PowerPC Mac.

My kernel is: 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 so I need the:

gspcav1-kmdl-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6-1.00.12-3.fc6.at.i686.rpm

If I had a different kernel I'd look for the appropriate module.

If these files were downloaded to your desktop you'd double-click on the kernel module first and install it, supplying the root password when prompted. After that you'd do the same for the driver.

If the kernel gets an update later you will have to wait a day or two till a kernel module becomes available and install it. You can remove the old module afterwards.

A quick reboot will load the module (You can do it without rebooting but this is the noob easy way) and your camera should work.

To check if you have a supported camera:

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/devices.shtml

Wayne

Wayne
29th March 2007, 01:39 AM
One way to test your camera is to install VideoLan Client (vlc) a great multimedia player. You can set up the repos you need to install it, other players and necessary codecs here:

http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html

Then in a root Terminal:

yum install vlc

From the VLC menu choose Menu > Open > Open Capture Device

and on the Video4Linux tab your device will be /dev/video

Sometimes it's /dev/video0 or /dev/video1

depending if you have other cards (I have a TV tuner) so just play with the setting in Video device name.

Wayne

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 02:50 AM
Wayne

Missing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.12-3.fc6.at is needed by package gspcav1

The error message I got. I will begin to try other packages. I do have the SAMS Fedora Core 6 book. I bought it when I made the switch. I do appreciate the help. I feel so ignorant, specifically do I need to make files, copy files into other folders? I am a very basic user attempting to build my cpu skills. I am a quick learner.

1.4 Ghz processor (Intel ?)
512+512 Mb RAM
Pioneer DVD
40Gb Western Digital HD
Dell E773c Monitor
nVidia Corp NV34 [GeForce FX 550] video card
2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6

Wayne
29th March 2007, 02:56 AM
The installation order is important, if I remember but not to worry. Open a Terminal where the files are located and type:

su <enter>

give the root password and type:

rpm -ivh *.rpm

Wayne

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 03:02 AM
the folder the driver downloaded to is on my desktop. I opened it and typed in what was advised and received file not found by glob: *rpm

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 03:05 AM
is there a way I can show you some screen shots so you can see what I'm looking at?

Wayne
29th March 2007, 03:06 AM
the folder the driver downloaded to is on my desktop. I opened it and typed in what was advised and received file not found by glob: *rpm

Notice the 'dot'

rpm -ivh *.rpm

Wayne

Wayne
29th March 2007, 03:10 AM
is there a way I can show you some screen shots so you can see what I'm looking at?

in the terminal type

ls

and post the output

Wayne

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 03:17 AM
I think I'm tracking after re-reading some things.

MatternGroup
29th March 2007, 03:24 AM
I typed help into the terminal and read that (*) preceding a command with disable it. So I went back and tried a couple things; then re read your post; went and found the other download and that is working. I thank you sir. I wish though I had a better understanding of what was going on. It is great to point and click as you say....yet I hope someday I know what to do.

Wayne
29th March 2007, 03:27 AM
I typed help into the terminal and read that (*) preceding a command with disable it. So I went back and tried a couple things; then re read your post; went and found the other download and that is working. I thank you sir. I wish though I had a better understanding of what was going on. It is great to point and click as you say....yet I hope someday I know what to do.

I think the answer to that is 'time and patience'..... on all our parts :D

Wayne

MatternGroup
30th March 2007, 01:53 AM
I'm back up tonight with a little time. I recieved an error message last night when it was done updating?

I didn't copy it. I'll try it again. Question though. the i386,i586, i686---what is that? What does it stand for?

Again thanks for your knowledge.

MatternGroup
1st April 2007, 02:26 PM
Troubled Waters:

This is the error message I get.

[('package kernel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 (which is newer than kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6) is already installed', (8, None, 0L))]
[('package kernel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 (which is newer than kernel-2.6.20-1.2925.fc6) is already installed', (8, None, 0L))]

Please advise.....

jdeslip
3rd April 2007, 01:28 AM
Perhaps rondon took the day off?

Can you answer the following questions:
What command gave you that error message? What rpm files currently exist on your desktop? What is the output of the command "rpm -qa | grep kernel" ? What is the output of "rpm -qa | grep gspca" ?

Wayne
3rd April 2007, 02:41 AM
Perhaps rondon took the day off?

Can you answer the following questions:
What command gave you that error message? What rpm files currently exist on your desktop? What is the output of the command "rpm -qa | grep kernel" ? What is the output of "rpm -qa | grep gspca" ?

Yes, I probably did. Sorry, I'm not in the right frame of mind to deal with PC problems right now. The reason is mentioned in another thread with "Wien" in the title. Also, this morning I woke up to no internet connection. It's back on now though and I'm wading through the spam in my mailboxes.

Wayne

MatternGroup
3rd April 2007, 08:02 PM
I am at work right now. I will look when I get home tonight. I really wanna love Fedora. I do not want to go back to the big M. I am trying to teach myself with this communities support how to use linux. It is a big task. I have a few books. Thanks for picking this up.

jdeslip
3rd April 2007, 08:03 PM
If you have any instant messenging accounts. Feel free to IM me (see profile) and we could work through together. If not, keep posting here.