PDA

View Full Version : Booting takes ages

snikkith
13th March 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi, I guess you`ve had a billion of post with this problem, but I couldn`t find a single one. :)
Seems not to be in the FAQ and google just gives me hints about how to enlarge my penis :p

So here is the problem:
I just switched from windows XP to fedora core, `cause I`ve been programming for several years, and wanted to do so any time since then.
Now I simply cant get used to Fedora booting for some 10 minutes... It even says the stuff in the upper right corner like configuring for first use and so on. I think I figured out, that this is not normal :) , but what to do? It also keeps asking me stuff like "Start blabla-service: (Yes/no/Continue)".

Thanks a lot for reading this post and not complaning about such a stupid noob :)

Snikkith

AlexDudko
13th March 2007, 05:35 PM
Several months ago I ran into the very similar problem. It happened at once after installing or started in 2-3 days after it.
I simply reinstalled the system because I couldn't find the way to solve it. But after switching to 2.6.19 kernel and till now everything works fine. Try to update your system. Perhaps it will help.

xen
13th March 2007, 06:03 PM
Sounds like it is booting in interactive mode (asking you which services to start) although I'm sorry that I have no idea why it is doing this without first asking the user (usually press 'i' after the GRUB menu).

evilinux
13th March 2007, 06:10 PM
yeh youre in interactive mode. plus you shoul go to services and disable everything you dont use. then it wont start it and it wont take up your resources.
the only things running on my services are
acpid
anacron
atd
avahi-daemon
crond
cups
gpm
haldaemon
hplip
iptables
irqbalance
kudzu
lm-sensors
mcstrans
messagebus
nasd
network
restorecond
smartd
syslog
i may remove some of these when i get around to it as well
although most of them have to run

AlexDudko
13th March 2007, 06:34 PM
In my case in slowed down on enabling cups and sendmail

hiberphoptik
13th March 2007, 06:56 PM
10 mintuies for a bootup is only possible if its getting stuck on trying to start something that isnt configured properly

sendmail
dhcp
maping network drive
any broken configuration for a service could cause it to sit and try forever or for a long time before it times out

even with every service enabled it wouldnt take over a minute to boot up unless you were running some sort of really rally crappy machine

i would turn off any and all services you do not need/use and make sure the remaining services are configured properly, that should give you a bootup time around 20 seconds or so depending

snikkith
14th March 2007, 04:52 PM
thx a lot! I will disable all the useless stuff!.

See you.