PDA

View Full Version : How to solve problems with latest RPMs

voipfc
13th March 2007, 12:09 AM
I am trying to install some packages on my system and sometimes they depend on different, sometimes earlier, sometimes later versions of library packages on my system.

In that situation is it better to get the source for the package and recompile it with what you have on your system?

I am assuming that the dependent libraries the packages where compiled with were what was available on the package developer's system and do not necessarily contain new features lacking in the older versions.

Will recompling such packages from the source rpms fix the problems in most cases?

One particular group I persistently come across is the libcX.so libraries.

Brian1
13th March 2007, 12:44 AM
I do this from time to time recompiling using src.rpms. Yes when some rpms are built it kind of thinks it needs certain versions of libriaries to work. But most of the time using the src.rpm and recompiling to create new rpms will work most of the time. But in some of the spec files it does list certain requirements. This is usually based on the developers requirements. One thing I have done knowing I have the newest libriary but it was installed from source so the rpm database does not know this. the rpm database can be editted to reflect this but never done that before. So this is where I edit the spec file so the certain libriary is not required during the install. You can just about manutilate the rpm any way you want. I keep records of what I install, version, how I installed, and when it was done. Easy to back track when something fails down the road. Current notebook has not be fresh installed for about 4 years but running as current stuff as it can and a few things newer than in many rpm sites. I have kept track of this from day one and currently the install list is about 60 some pages long.

Brian

voipfc
13th March 2007, 10:36 AM
I guess if I have any problems in the course of my compilations I will be calling up on you then :)

Thanks Brian