PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Audio

arober03
12th March 2007, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I just got Fedora Core 5, and I cant stream audio from the internet. I installed mplayer and now I can stream videos with sound, but I still can't stream pure audio (ie internet radio). What can I do to fix this?

Thanks Andrew

sdowney717
12th March 2007, 10:27 PM
got a web link to show?

arober03
13th March 2007, 01:01 AM
www.live365.com
just pick any station.

StephenH
13th March 2007, 02:52 AM
Try VLC instead. I'm listening to a classical feed as I type this. :)

Stephen

sdowney717
14th March 2007, 01:36 AM
I hear it fine. It loads a page, And I instantly hear the station, after I hit the play button.
I am running FC7 test 2. I had to compile mplayer as no rpm exist yet.

I dont see any player, wonder if it is embedded. And as far as i know, all i have is mplayer, realplayer, flash player.

sys0pc64
14th March 2007, 02:27 AM
I opened the site using FF 1.5, chose a channel and I was prompted to choose what application I wanted to open "play.pls" with. I pointed to my mp3 player of choice "audacious" and its streaming fine.

Also, do you have the mplayerplug-in installed?

arober03
19th March 2007, 04:32 AM
I opened the site using FF 1.5, chose a channel and I was prompted to choose what application I wanted to open "play.pls" with. I pointed to my mp3 player of choice "audacious" and its streaming fine.

Also, do you have the mplayerplug-in installed?
When I click the play button, i am prompted to pick which application i want to open "play.pls" with. But the only one that is there is Helix Player (default) which doesn't work, and sj-play.png which also opens Helix Player. If i choose other, I don't know where to look to find another player. Any help?

arober03
19th March 2007, 04:44 AM
When I click the play button, i am prompted to pick which application i want to open "play.pls" with. But the only one that is there is Helix Player (default) which doesn't work, and sj-play.png which also opens Helix Player. If i choose other, I don't know where to look to find another player. Any help?
K i better add this, I tried to download the VLC player from this website using its instructions.
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#VLC

In the terminal I typed:
su -
then my password

then as root i typed
yum -y install videolan-client

then this was the output:
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
core [1/3]
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
extras [2/3]
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates [3/3]
updates 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 1.9 MB 00:01
extras : ################################################## 6359/6359
Added 2568 new packages, deleted 390 old in 38.03 seconds
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: videolan-client
Nothing to do

THis is the same thing that happened when I tried to install mplayer. Is this ok, or did I do something wrong and the installation was not successful? If so what do I do. IF everything was ok, then where do i look for it when I want to select it as the application to open "play.pls".

Thanks so much everyone.
Andrew

scotta3234
19th March 2007, 05:37 AM
By the way.... I'd check out streamtuner if i were you. It's an open source app that handles internet radio. I also believe it has built in presets for Live365 networks. You can set it so it works with any player... amarok audacious, mplayer or whatever.

yum -y install streamtuner