PDA

View Full Version : rc.sysinit segfault

Rien
12th March 2007, 10:04 PM
Hi,
I am running FC5 on a Dell Inspiron. I just ran into a problem in the startup sequence that prevents it from starting up. The system starts booting in the normal way, and then after about 1/3 of the progress bar it freezes. A ctrl-alt-backspace shows that the error is a segmentation fault. It says the following:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 510: 1427 segmentation fault rm -f $afile/*

I am running the 2288 kernel, but I get the same problem with the earlier version. I can add that I my /home partition is something like 98-99% full, I don't know if it has something to do with it.

Any ideas?

klapa
12th March 2007, 10:14 PM
Tough to figure - unless someone else has had this exact problem.

Myself - I always like to boot to a text terminal - then "startx" - this helps to seperate the really critical system failures from video/graphics X failures.

You might try booting from a rescue CD or previously prepared boot disk to edit the /etc/initab file and change the default runlevel to 3 from 5 - that way you boot in text mode and it is easier to find the problem.

Else - I wouldn't see why a /home 98% full would cause the problem - unless "X" needs /home space at initialization time.

Rien
13th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply! I managed to fix it -- there was a problem with the filesystem that I repaired with fsck.