PDA

View Full Version : mounting an NTFS drive......

filacqua
12th March 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone, I am using Fedora 5 and am new to it. I have an external hard drive using the NTFS file system. I would like to be able to read and write to and from the drive.

I ran the #mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r command and received a warning "Deficient FUSE kernel module detected. So I downloaded the lates release of the FUSE kernel and now I am stcuk with how to install it or what to do next?

Can anyone please help?

Thanks
Frank

klapa
12th March 2007, 10:30 PM
I will admit to not know what a "Fuse" kernel is - but have mounted NTFS partitions, READ ONLY, in the past, using the ntfs suite of tools available in the Opensource community.

Last I knew - NTFS partitions were not working for Linux "RW" access - only for "RO" access.

The project (http://www.linux-ntfs.org/) seems to have taken a new turn I'm was not aware of, as I thought the work on write access had been abandonend due to lack of enough demand to justify the work involved. (the NTFS filesystem having proven to be very difficult to "reverse engineer" - and Microsoft being unwilling to release system internal details).

I have used that suite of tools in the past for read access - with good results - but never for write.

This is the first time I have linked to an external site in a post here - I don't know if this is "legal" to do or not - so if it is not legal - please advise and I will refrain from doing this in the future.

ryptyde
12th March 2007, 11:20 PM
You can use yum to install ntfs-3g drivers and also you can read/write to ntfs external drives by using gconf editor and changing the NTFS mount options from [umask=222] to [umask=000].

EDIT: not sure if ntfs-3g is available from FC5 repo but someone will chime in if it isn't.

Brian1
12th March 2007, 11:42 PM
The error you are recieving is no big deal. It is just that since kernel 2.6.20 the fuse filesystem is now part of the kernel source.

Even downloading the fuse kernel module package and rebuilding the kernel will not work. You want to rebuild the kernel from the source itself and enable the fuse from the kernel source tree itself. Check out this link to build 2.6 kernels in the Redhat/Redhat clone distros. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=1401136#post1401136

Brian