PDA

View Full Version : Giving users full control over a specific directory

ajamison
12th March 2007, 07:54 PM
I would like to give superuser privileges to a specific set of directory's (mainly having to do with hosting webpages) so that they can set view privileges as well as add or delete files in these directories. How do I set this up I do not want global full access just to select a few users to have this privileged access.

The reason for this is so that when i add files to that directory via a network share on my other pc I can set the privileges and not have to switch to my server log in as root and change the perms.

offcenter77
12th March 2007, 08:30 PM
Create a group, and add the users you need to that group. Then set set the folders in question to be owned by that group, and chmod -R g+rwx on that folder.

ajamison
12th March 2007, 10:11 PM
Ok that worked thanks for the help

ajamison
15th April 2007, 02:30 AM
Ok this is some what related to what i originaly asked so i will put it here.

I managed to follow you instructions and created a new group however now when a windows user logs into the samba share and loads music onto the share the file is then associated with that user and all perms are set as that user being the owner.

This causes problems when another user trys to look at the files or copy the music to their local machine. I would like it so that when any file is created on any samba share from a remote machine (in this case another pc on the network) that instead of that user becoming owner of the folders/files a user group is made the owner so that way any user in that group will have access to this file or folder and have full control over it as though they were the owner of the file