PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice Install

developer_dave
11th March 2007, 01:09 PM
I have installed openoffice 2.1. I have a couple of questions. When installing something in linux with RPM, how do you know what directory it will be installed in? After doing a search, I found a /opt/openoffice.org2.1 directory. It has a lot of files in it. Which file should I use to open writer, calc, etc... Also, how do I open these programs? Thanks.

P.S. I have tried openoffice.org-2.1 -writer %U and I get message, command not found.

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 01:26 PM
The icons must have disappear from your quick launch panel. Try to configure your menu layout - right click Applications and choose edit menus (in gnome) - choose office - check the new icons, they must already be here. In KDE the procedure is very familiar. You may also add the icons to you quick launch panel.

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 01:30 PM
The icons must have disappear from your quick launch panel. Try to configure your menu layout - right click Applications and choose edit menus (in gnome) - choose office - check the new icons, they must already be here. In KDE the procedure is very familiar. You may also add the icons to you quick launch panel.

If the old icons are still in their places don't use them - they won't work. Find new, they will look different from default and considerably bigger.

developer_dave
11th March 2007, 01:38 PM
I have never had icons before, I didn't have a previous version of openoffice, I just installed it. How can I create some icons? Thanks.

developer_dave
11th March 2007, 02:04 PM
I did an uninstall, and installed it from the gui package manager, and the icons showed up, and everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 02:11 PM
I did an uninstall, and installed it from the gui package manager, and the icons showed up, and everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

By the way, I tried both the default FC6 openoffice 2.0.4 and the 2.1 version, I didn't find any difference

mrsurf
13th March 2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Alex,
I have downloaded Open office 2.1 tar.gz from Open office web site. Can u let me help me out how to uninstall previous version Oo 2.04 and install O o 2.1 as defualt for gnome as well as kde .

AlexDudko
13th March 2007, 11:11 PM
Is it the OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz pachage? If so, then unpack it into a directory: tar xvzf OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz. Then move to a directory RPMS-->desktop-integration and remove from there everything leaveng only freedesktop-menus and red-hat-menus.
Then cd to RPMS and execute rpm -Uvih *rpm it will be installed and 2.0.4 automatically removed.
After that mind my comments above.
And do not upgrade it with FC 6 Software updater! If you do it you'll have again 2.0.4!

mrsurf
23rd May 2007, 12:40 AM
Is it the OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz pachage? If so, then unpack it into a directory: tar xvzf OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz. Then move to a directory RPMS-->desktop-integration and remove from there everything leaveng only freedesktop-menus and red-hat-menus.
Then cd to RPMS and execute rpm -Uvih *rpm it will be installed and 2.0.4 automatically removed.
After that mind my comments above.
And do not upgrade it with FC 6 Software updater! If you do it you'll have again 2.0.4!

Hi Alex,

Thnx for tips it worked excellent !

Wayne
23rd May 2007, 12:44 AM
Noobs guide is somewhere in this thread:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151816&highlight=openoffice

Wayne

davidirasmith
2nd August 2007, 01:00 AM
I have recently upgraded to FC6, and am using gnome. I am currently runing Openoffice 1.0.2, and want to upgrade. To that end, I downloaded OOo_2.2.1_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar, and have been trying to install it. I followed the instructions given on the web site, but no luck. When I click on the writer icon, I still get the 1.0.2 version. Doing an "rpm -qa openoffice*" displays the various 2.2.1 components. One poster (rondonjin) withnin his "Noobs guide" talks about renaming my .openoffice directory, and changing my /etc/yum.conf file, but I would prefer not to have to do that unless absolutely necessary. I don't know what the commands corresponding to the various applications for 2.2.1 are, for, if I did, I could locate them and create new launchers for them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wayne
2nd August 2007, 02:04 AM
Before installing 2.2.1 I completely removed the previous version using Yumex. If you don't exclude openoffice.org* in yum.conf you will be prompted to update to the older version each time you run Pup.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152483&highlight=openoffice

See post 9 in that thread.

Wayne