PDA

View Full Version : Missing dependencies that I already have?

fragment1618
11th March 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm using Fedora Core 6. I can't do anything in Package Manager without getting dependency errors. That wouldn't be a problem if I could get the depencies I'm missing, but most of the time I get the list down to two or three and when I search for them it says they're already installed.

One time it said I was missing libnotify.so.1, so I went to get an RPM for libnotify. When I tried to install it, it said it was already installed. I looked in /usr/lib and libnotify.so.1 (and libnotify.so.1.1.0) were there. Any ideas what's going on? Should I just use yum?

glennzo
11th March 2007, 12:17 PM
Since I'm a real hack and if things go wrong I just re-install Fedora I would remove and re-install libnotify. Then I'd see if the dependency errors go away. This may not be the best advice. Just what I would do.

w5set
11th March 2007, 05:58 PM
use command line (terminal)

su - (and enter root password)
yum clean all
rpm --rebuilddb
yum update yum

might work then---maybe

markkuk
11th March 2007, 09:06 PM
Use yum from the command line and post the actual error messages you get. A dependency error doesn't always mean that something is missing. It's possible that your installed libnotify.so.1 file or some package that needs that exact version of libnotify is blocking the update.

lazlow
11th March 2007, 09:32 PM
You can also run into this if you are mixing repos.

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 09:44 PM
You can also run into this if you are mixing repos.

Or their versions :confused:

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 09:47 PM
you may also try rpm -i --force yourvercion.rpm

lazlow
11th March 2007, 09:56 PM
Alex
Not sure if that is a question. The same file (say libnotify.so.1) MAY not be the same depending on its source repo. The version that livna may not be the same as freshrpms' version ( and both are very likely different than the atrpms version). If you get a package from one repo but you have one of its dependancys from another, it may not work.

Some packages may require an older version of a dependancy. Say you have libnotify.so installed and package A needs it. You go to install package B and it requires libnotify.so.1. So basically you have to choose if you want package A or B. Usually (not always) this will clear up when package A is updated. The real poblem is, if package A is working fine then there is no incentive(for the packager) to update package A to use libnotify.so.1.

Lazlow

AlexDudko
11th March 2007, 10:36 PM
Alex
Not sure if that is a question. The same file (say libnotify.so.1) MAY not be the same depending on its source repo. The version that livna may not be the same as freshrpms' version ( and both are very likely different than the atrpms version). If you get a package from one repo but you have one of its dependancys from another, it may not work.

Some packages may require an older version of a dependancy. Say you have libnotify.so installed and package A needs it. You go to install package B and it requires libnotify.so.1. So basically you have to choose if you want package A or B. Usually (not always) this will clear up when package A is updated. The real poblem is, if package A is working fine then there is no incentive(for the packager) to update package A to use libnotify.so.1.

Lazlow

Sometimes it can take hours to find proper rpms. Even if you get the "propper" rpm and install that instead the "wrong" one it can conflict with the others already installed in your sistem. The same happens also when you install some packages from source code the rpm packages may conflict with them or fail dependences.

Just try rpm -Uhv vercion.rpm and see what dependences are failed. Then find these versions of failed dependences and try to install them, mind the version, for example: lame-devel-3.97-2.lvn6.i386.rpm and lame-3.97-2.lvn6.i386.rpm or lame-devel-3.97-3.lvn6.i386.rpm and lame-3.97-3.lvn6.i386.rpm - they will definitely work with one another in pairs but hardly in the other way. Only after that try to install the package you need again.

mrhaigui
12th March 2007, 03:11 PM
yum install that or download the source package on line and install