PDA

View Full Version : I hosed my install needhelp

evilinux
10th March 2007, 02:37 PM
trying to install another hard drive I updated my existing install with the installation cd.
This was in an attempt to get grub to install on the new drive with windows on it and it didnt work. now my existing drive wont boot to fedora.
I just need to save my files which I can access from rescue mode, they are there.
I Installed fedora 6 on the second drive already, wiped out windows so i could try to get my important stuff off and burn it to dvd. yet now when i try this
booting to my new install then
#mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/drived
it mounts the hosed install's /boot folder only, in the new drived folder i created,not the rest of the drive
how can i get it to mount the whole drive so i can move my files?

b_martinez
10th March 2007, 02:59 PM
trying to install another hard drive I updated my existing install with the installation cd.
This was in an attempt to get grub to install on the new drive with windows on it and it didnt work. now my existing drive wont boot to fedora.
I just need to save my files which I can access from rescue mode, they are there.
I Installed fedora 6 on the second drive already, wiped out windows so i could try to get my important stuff off and burn it to dvd. yet now when i try this
booting to my new install then
#mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/drived
it mounts the hosed install's /boot folder only, in the new drived folder i created,not the rest of the drive
how can i get it to mount the whole drive so i can move my files?

All good so far, just not far enough. Try mounting the rest of the partitions from sda.

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/drived2
mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /mnt/drived3
etc, etc.....

You likely have a root and a swap partition, and if you have a separate /home partition on sda, you'll need to mount it to read it.
hth
Bill

edit
on second thought

su -
(enter root password)
mkdir /media/sda
mount -t ext3 -O rw /dev/sda /media/sda
and you 'should' have the whole dive mounted under /media/sda
Bill

Nels664868
10th March 2007, 03:17 PM
try
mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt/drived

Fedora uses LVM (Logical Volume Management) for the root file system
The first install is labeled VolGroup00, the next is VolGroup01
also the drive with the original install is sdb, the pc will normally boot sda first
in the Bios setup set the boot device to the second hd or exchange the SATA connectors

nels

evilinux
10th March 2007, 03:28 PM
ok thanks. i think i managed to save my install using grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
im actually in it now
trying to get the new kernel and everything updated but having this info will come in handy
but if i get it all fixed im going to reattempt to install windows int he new drive and dual boot and that seems to be a problem when you are using an existing fedora install as the secondary drive, no guides and no one seems to know how to do it... any advice there much appreciated
that is for two sata drives, and bios will not let me pick which one to boot from, only sata1 is an option so its all cable selected. Assuming I get windows drive on the sata1 cable and fedora on sata 2. and this is for a default fedora sata installation, I didnt make any special partitions and grub is installed in the MBR of the linux drive.

lewer3
16th March 2007, 04:09 AM
i tried
****mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt/drived
****from Nels664868

and it basically remounted my current drive.

allow me to explain a little.
over the summer i experimented w/ FC5 and it died on me in sept. so i got a new HD and started over. about a month ago it did it to me again, after some research in the library i figured out how to get my system(s) back. i tried it and poof everything works.
now i want to integrate the summer experiment with the current and thats A LOT of data.
i've been searching for a while now trying to find a solution.

"mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt/drived"

looked promising until i realized it remounted my current drive.

soooo

i'm trying to see if their is a modifacation to make to some code... or wateva and make this mount the other VolGroup00-LogVol00

i hope this makes sense....

lemme know
-SL-