PDA

View Full Version : how to uninstall virtualbox?

ildg
10th March 2007, 09:53 AM
I installed virtualbox through "sh VirtualBox_1.3.2_Linux_x86.run install",
not by yum,
how can I uninstall it please?

rugbert
24th August 2008, 06:54 PM
I too would like to know this

scottro
24th August 2008, 08:11 PM
Shame on you folks, it's in the manual. :)

cd into the directory that was created when you untarred it.
I've forgotten the name of the shell script, virtualbox.sh.run or whatever it is. Say it's called VBox.sh

sh Vbox.sh uninstall

rugbert
26th August 2008, 12:00 AM
I dont remember where I installed it from..I found the RPM tho, should I like, re-unpack it and run that file?

scottro
26th August 2008, 02:08 AM
No

If you removed the directory created by the original tarball, you can just download the tarball again--you can poke around their site for older versions, if you're not running the latest. Once you untar it, cd into the directory and do it that way.

If you mean you installed the rpm, then you can just remove it with yum remove VirtualBox.

leyba
7th January 2009, 02:09 PM
rpm -e VirtualBox

scottro
7th January 2009, 03:02 PM
@leyba, that's only if he installed via rpm. As he said he used the shell script, using rpm wouldn't apply.

shabakeh
3rd July 2009, 08:12 PM
hi

I have installed virtalbox ose 2.2.4 from this guide:
http://dnmouse.org/virtualbox.html (method1)

I want to unistall it and install virtualbox 3 with support of usb and network.what should I do?thanks in advance

bodhi.zazen
3rd July 2009, 08:43 PM
su -

yum remove Virtualbox-OSE

Then download VBox version 3 .rpm

rpm -i Virtualbox*.rpm

shabakeh
4th July 2009, 09:15 AM
thanks

I have performed #yum remove VirtualBox-OSE and unistall the virtualbox.

scottro
23rd August 2009, 02:46 AM
Just an update--someone referenced this thread on linuxquestions, so I better try to keep it current, more or less.

It seems that with VBox 3.0.4 you can't remove the guest additions. The command given above gets an error that it's not a viable option.

There's no mention of removing it in the manual either, that I can see. (All this is for Linux hosts, didn't look at Solaris and MS hosts)

Sigh. Once again, a decision that makes you go ARGH.

shabakeh
23rd August 2009, 07:19 AM
thanks

for removing virtualbox we should run:

#yum remove VirtualBox

scottro
23rd August 2009, 10:48 AM
And shame on me, I looked at the LQ thread far too late in the evening--well, it wasn't late, but I was quite tired. *THAT* thread just had to do with removing Guest Additions, not VirtualBox so you can ignore my post above.

Thanks Shabakeh--had it not been for your post, I would have completely missed that.

fedorat01
5th September 2009, 06:03 PM
Just to complete the list, if you used one of the generic *.run versions from the VirtualBox downloads (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads) then you probably installed it with something like this:

[you@box1 ~]$ ./VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Linux_x86.run

Then you uninstall it similarly -

[you@box1 ~]$ ./VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Linux_x86.run uninstall