PDA

View Full Version : prob w/ acroread

mpouss1
10th March 2007, 09:26 AM
i kno this has been said many a time but ive followed everybody advice n nothin has seemed to help. every time i try to install i get a whole bunch of symlinks failed n operations not permitted. i cant seem to even get it installed nor can i get a solution to the compat-libstd++-3. cant install coz i already have it or a better version. im lost n have no idea wut to do about this.

Thetargos
10th March 2007, 10:18 AM
I've been reading the other thread and it does indeed seems quite odd that you are having such problems. However, could you please:

rpm -qa | grep libstdc++

if you get anything from that, then you already have it installed... Moving on...

Get the .tar.bz2 version of Acroread, and do:

ll INSTAL
(those are two 'l' ("els"), you should see something like:

-rwxrwxr-x blah blah blah

The focus here is those "-rwxrwxrwx" which mean the file is executable, if this is not the case, instead of running with ./INSTALL, you can run it with:

sh INSTALL
THAT should work.

Then all you have to do is to follow the rest of the instructions provided in the other thread, like adding the GTK variable to the acroread startup script and the rest.

If you keep getting those errors about "operation not permitted", please post the output of the command "mount", as it may mean that your filesystem has turned into read only or other problems.

Edit
Lastly, just to be sure, you're trying to install into 32-bit Linux, right? I mean, you did not install x86_64 Fedora?

mpouss1
10th March 2007, 11:20 AM
happen to have a link for that tar.bz2 file. cant seem to find one. also i did that command "mount" n got (rw) after all the partitions so i would take that as read-write...correct me if im wrong, im assuming thats it. n yes i have 32-bit linux n am downloading everything 32-bit...having the i686 kernel shouldnt have ne effect on the installations correct?

Thetargos
10th March 2007, 05:10 PM
No, the i686 kernel is a 32-bit one, and is fine. Yes, RW is read-write, and sorry, it is the .tar.gz on the Acrobat's site. I just installed Acrobat (on my 64-bit Linux) and after jumping through a few hoops I got it running. However it still suffers from the problem (for me) that it a) takes a LONG while to load and b) takes another LONG while to shut down (as if it were stuck) and usually I end up killing the process. This has happened to me since FC4 32-bit, so I'm not sure. Previous versions of FC worked just fine, though.

So appart from the compatibility libraries I had to install (which you should already have, since you're running 32-bits) and the long time to load/shut down the program, I could say that acrobat "works" on my machine.

mpouss1
10th March 2007, 09:26 PM
when i do the "ll INSTALL" I get

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34770 Jan 5 13:56 INSTALL

so i should b able to run the sh INSTALL with this file?

mpouss1
10th March 2007, 10:12 PM
ok so i do the sh INSTALL but i have to change the install directory to my desktop...it doesnt seem to work ne other way... now i try to use the acroread but that still doesnt work coz it cant find the installation directory.

mpouss1
10th March 2007, 11:47 PM
i finally got it to work...n it also works on firefox now also

Seve
11th March 2007, 12:02 AM
Hello:
Good for you .... now on the next challenge :)

Seve

Thetargos
11th March 2007, 05:16 AM
Seems you only needed to start all over ;) Some times happens. Glad you got it working!

mpouss1
11th March 2007, 08:41 AM
yea, next challenge...getting desktop effects to work w/ my ati x200M series chipset. im jus gonna leave that one alone til ati gets their stuff together.

Thetargos
11th March 2007, 11:32 PM
I wonder if Phoronix knows when will ATi finally add support for AIGLX in their drivers...