PDA

View Full Version : fedora on vaio

4th February 2004, 11:30 AM
hi,

trying to install fedora on myvaio with cardbus cd drive. with other linuxes, i can do a "linux ide2=0x180,0x386", and it will detect my cd drive. with fedora, it hangs when "trying to mount CD device hde". it detected the CD drive, ide2, hde, but just cant seeme to work properly. used the same cd to install on my thinkpad with swapable cd drive, it work fine.

any solutions?

halmsx/

Ug
4th February 2004, 01:56 PM
This article (http://www.timocharis.com/help/fedaio.html) might help. But the long and short of it appears to be that there are problems with the CD on particular models of VAIOs. What model is yours?

5th February 2004, 03:22 AM
uh, its a PCG Z505JL, similar to the rest of PCG Z505xx models, except mine got japanese 106keys keyboard, weird at first, but used to it now.

neways, i will try to do this later, ive tried the ide2 param, need to try the pci param. thanks, will post the result.

halms/

Ug
5th February 2004, 03:31 PM
It all seems rather a lot of hassle to go throught to get Fedora up and running. If I was you, i'd try and write down your system specs and details of the issues you've had and send them to the Fedora team. Afterall there's only one way in which Fedora can improve and that's through feedback.

I'd recommend joining one of their mailing lists here (http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/)

penguinpete
9th February 2004, 09:56 PM
I have a SR33K and I have no luck installing any newer versions of Linux on it. I have been trying to intall Xandros and Lindows, but they will not install (thanks for the above link, I will have to try passing those parameters to the kernel).

I was finally able to install Fedora by creating the boot disks and using a spare EXP CDRW/DVD PCMCIA drive that I have. I had to boot from the Fedora install disk, then load the PCMCIA disk.

Just an FYI:
I was able to install synaptic and apt from www.fedora.us, then update the apt sources list. It is so nice to be able to install a program and all dependencies with just one click.